Day 14 - Uptown Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 28th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On top of the Big John!!!On top of the Big John!!!On top of the Big John!!!

John Hancock Building
We started the day a bit sceptical, but after about a 20 min walk from our hotel found civilisation ad Chicago is actually a beautiful city. Walked the streets looking at old buildings and crossing the Chicago River. Made it down to Lake Michigan... unbelievably huge (shows how much Andrew knew, he thought it froze over and he could ice skate on it - I couldn’t stop laughing when he said that), it is bigger than 2 of America’s states together.

Found the John Hancock Building, which has an observation deck on the 94th Floor. Went up there and since it was such a clear day we could see so much. Could just make out the state of Michigan over the lake and we both couldn’t believe how dense it is. Next we headed to Nay pier, which is full of shops, theatres and food. OK, but as usual completely commercialised. It actually was the site of a world fair and the worlds first Ferris Wheel was built there, funnily enough by a bloke called Ferris.
Headed to Millenium Park, a park with artwork, a big silver bean (photo) and the ice skating rink (didn’t get on it through as it was being cleaned).

Our next adventure was finding a car to rent to head to Milwaukee for the basketball. By this time it was about 3pm and we found that all rental places in town closed at 2. After a panic, we had to head to the airport again to get a car. Andrew drove very well, straight onto the highway and an hour and a half later we ht Milwaukee. Got lost and had to ask for directions, but finally found the Bradley Center.
The disappointing thing was that Andrew Bogut was injured and so was the Bucks other big player Michael Redd. The atmosphere was pretty awesome and it was a close game in the end, Bucks lost by 2 points after leading by 10 for most of the game up until the 3rd qtr. Very entertaining during timeouts, Australia really had a lot to learn about entertainment in Basketball.

Got back to the hotel about 12:30 and crashed again. Another big day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.1kb