My kind of city


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 27th 2009
Published: October 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 1 22 secs
2: 2 124 secs
3: 3 79 secs
4: 4 39 secs
5: 5 133 secs
6: 6 22 secs
7: 7 46 secs
8: 8 23 secs
9: 9 63 secs
10: 10 32 secs
Wow am loving this place! It really is the city that has it all, the beach (well man made) parks and greenery galore, the massive skyscrapping matropolus, loads to do always, a marina and most importantly for me snow every year without fail!! obviously the locas would disagree that its great being as it is more a level of snow that oculd kill you than a gentle stroll through the park to make a snow man and start a snow ball fight, but still i'm sure i'd enjoy it for a bit.

Anyway we arrived on our over night train feeling very tired. dropped off our adopted polish woman and headed for the Greek quarter to the hostel. An ok area I guess little way out of the city but after wlaking most of Manhatten this place is nothing!! The hostel is not labled at all so was a bit hard to find but when we did we couldn't wait to check in to our double bed for some proper kip. Anyway forgot in our tiredness that we would ahve to wait to "check in" till 4pm, so off we headed bleary eyed and a bit smelly into the city. We settled for finding the local HI hostel to see if there were any activites we could tag on to through out the week (as these have been so good at all the hostels and missing from the other types of hostel so far). But with hours to go till check in we settled in the library for free wi fi (a library with escalators!!!). It was only after hours and hours in there we realsied that we could ahve left a while ago as the time zone had changed and what we thought was 3:30pm was actualy 4:30pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 131, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Wriggley buildingThe Wriggley building
The Wriggley building

Apparently they used to make soap powder and give the gum as a free gift. So many people bought the soap just for the gum that they switched products


4th October 2009

Cocktails in Chicago?
Did you have a blob of marmalade in your cocktail and salt around the rim?
7th October 2009

Eddie
They called it the Esther rantzen!!! and it was bloody awfull
10th October 2009

Long time no see
Nath, I know I haven't seen you for a few years but when did the hair go? Loving the blogs and am not in the slightest bit jelous, HONEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16th October 2009

It has been a while!
Hay mate The hair went a long time ago (2000 i think) thought about growing a beard whilst i travel but already feel very old in some of the hostels and i dont think a beard would help!! How you getting on these days? glad your enjoying the blog, hopefully lots more to come!!!

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb