Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
June 1st 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 25th May - Tuesday 27th May

We arrived in Chicago about Midnight and took the train into town. It was quite late but were able to find a station near our motel and take our cab. This was good as it only cost $10 to get from the Airport to the motel.

We were staying in the Ohio House Motel it’s a dated building but is close to town (the wireless is crap though.) The coffee shop is good value and on the premises.

We explored the City on Monday. It was the Memorial day so there was lots of people around. Firstly we went to the John Hancock Building which is shorter then the sears tower but is still around 100 stories high. The security is less then the Sears Tower and is good value if you go to the signature lounge. While the Observatory charges $15pp and is the on the 94th floor, the signature lounge is on the 96 floor and is free to go up, providing you buy a drink. $25 got us two Margaritas and a wonderful view of the city.

After this we wandered down the Miracle Mile looking at the shops and admiring the architecture and the Tulips. The weather was nice and warm, and was a pleasant stroll (although we probably walked for too long.) We saw a few more sights like Sears tower and Grant park before heading off to Chinatown (our 3rd Chinatown visited so far) for dinner.

After dinner we headed back to the Motel and then went out to the Hard Rock café for a few drinks. It was quiet and quite relaxing, we got some souvenirs and looked at the merchandise (they had a Guitar from a Faith No More show circa 1992 which was a surprise.)

On Tuesday we didn’t do much, we posted some clothes back to Malaysia (old ones as we have some replacements now)and walked around a little. It seems you can see most sights in Chicago in a day, plus it was really cold this day been 25 degrees F colder then Monday (in checking the paper we found out it was warmer in Auckland then in Chicago.) We were going to go to an outlet mall until we found it would be a 8 hour round trip on the train, so we shelved that plan.

That concluded our time in Chicago, the next morning we board a 9 am flight and headed to Washington.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb