45 Day Trip-The Pacific Northwest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Coeur d'Alene
October 1st 2007
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We compliment cruising with extensive driving trips; this one being 45 days to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California. On our way to our first time share near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho we visited friends and family and saw some of the most awe inspiring mountains including Mt. Shasta, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood and our favorite Mt. Rainier. We also attended a Shakespeare play at the outdoor Elizabethan theater in Ashland, Oregon; took a day trip to the exquisitely blue Crater Lake and generally enjoyed the scenic route and perfect autumn weather.

Wide open spaces are alive and well in northern Idaho! The town of Sandpoint was an hour’s drive north of our condo and Coeur d’Alene was about the same distance south. Both were perfectly located on large lakes with lots of charm. They both had floating restaurants where the cedar planked salmon and firecracker shrimp tacos were meals to remember. Coeur d’Alene also had a first class resort by the same name. After our lunch there, we were approached by an employee who asked us if we wanted to take a ride in the resorts mahogany water taxi. We sped off to the world renowned golf course which actually had the 14th green on a floating island in the pristine lake. We’ve never seen anything like that before!

Our next time share was a short day’s drive to Lake Chelan, Washington. Having never heard of this area, we were surprised at how much it had to offer. Our condo overlooked the 55 mile long Lake Chelan. One day we boarded the “Lady of the Lake” ferry to the remote town of Stehekin at the northern end of the lake. Other than this ferry, the only other way to get to Stehekin is by float plane. It was interesting to hear the stories about the 85 residents that brave this harsh environment. Back in civilization, the Columbia Valley boasts some of the best wine in the country. We couldn’t find a red wine we didn’t like and actually joined the Lake Chelan Wine Club and attended several “in the vineyard” dinners with entertainment. Chuck thinks that the wine is topnotch because the region has been famous for fruit (apples, pears, blueberries) for years and the rich soil is perfect for the grapevine. Later in the week we took a daytrip to the Alpine town of Leavenworth, Washington. It was so authentic that we truly thought that we were in Bavaria with the German food, the scenic murals painted on buildings, and an accordion player all decked out in his lederhosen.

Seattle was our next stop and our hotel was conveniently located right downtown within walking distance of all the attractions. We enjoyed dinner at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle, also at a seafood restaurant at the famous waterfront, and on our 28th wedding anniversary at the Herbfarm, a 5 star restaurant that was well worth the cost. We also toured the Frank Gehry designed “Experience Music Project” and tried our hand at singing, playing guitar, beating the drums and seeing all the exhibits of our favorite musical artists. We also drove out to the Salish Lodge for brunch and saw the misty Snoqualmie Falls.

Our last timeshare before leaving the Pacific Northwest was just outside Portland, Oregon near Mt. Hood. The drive up to the historic Timberline Lodge at the base of the mountain was well worth the visit. The following day a snow storm closed the road and we were glad we’d visited when the weather was crisp and blue. The Columbia Gorge Hotel, another historical landmark was also impressive with its perfect location above the massive Columbia River.

This first month of our 45 day driving trip showed us that some of the best scenery in the world is located right here in this area and that autumn is the optimal time to visit. But the best part was the hospitality of our friends who went out of their way to make us feel welcome in their little piece of paradise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



3rd November 2008

Just a Sample
Great photography and information. This really show that the Pacific Northwest has alot to offer. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have lived here all of my live and it still amazes me we find more and more to see and do all the time. The nice part too is that there is such a wide variety of landscape and activities to do. Any trip around the Northwest is well worth it. visit: www.everythingnorthwest.com

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb