Road trip 2011 Idaho, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington and Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Coeur D'alene
July 17th 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 15
We left Eagle, ID around 11 AM after the movers came to pick up the furnishings that we are taking to the desert. After a quick stop at Jeff & Lyndi's to say goodby to all, we were on the road. They will be very busy the next few days moving into our house.

Being that it was Friday, we decided to take the longer route via Oregon on the 84. The alternative was taking the 55 through McCall but since that is a two lane road and there would be many campers and boats we choose the highway instead. It is about a 6 1/2 hour trip to Coeur D'Alene. Luckily they are on Pacific time so we were able to gain an hour to compensate for our late start.

The trip through Oregon & Washington was quite pretty with rolling hills and farmland changing into vineyards as we progressed North. The only slow down was through Spokane where we met a lot of freeway construction as well as afternoon commute traffic. We arrived shortly before 6 PM at our long time friend, Noel (AKA Anthony) Cimino's home where we would spend the next three nights.

We arrived just in time for happy hour (I think that is any time of day at Noel's house). We sat on the front porch for our first glass of wine. Afterwards it was time to see the new additions to his home.. He is quite handy and built an outdoor room "the Marvin Rossi Barraca. From the ceiling, numerous empty bottles of wine are hung to record the past enjoyment of Noel and his friends.

We spent the evening in the Barraca having Noels homemade ribs with a little wine followed by sitting in the backyard around the fire pit with a blazing fire, retelling stories of all the good times we had together in the past and again having a little more wine. A few more bottles for the ceiling.


July 16
Saturday we went into Spokane and walked around Riverside Park and part of downtown. Lunch was at Anthony's, on the patio overlooking the raging Spokane river. We stopped in at the Davenport, one of the most beautiful old hotels in the country. After all that walking it was time for a little libation so we stopped in P F Changs for a beer-tired of wine.

Saturday evening it was time for a little tour of Couer d'Alene. Most of the downtown restaurants were occupied by lots of young people enjoying the summer evening and their type of music so we decided to move on to a quieter venue. We finally ended up at Bardenay for dinner. It looks almost identical to the one in Eagle where we frequently have lunch. They distill vodka at this location.


July 17
Sunday morning brought another beautiful day so we were off again. Noel drove us up to Sand Point for a walk through town followed by a walk on the beach of Lake Pend Oreille. It is 65 miles long, and 1,150 feet deep in some regions, making it the fifth deepest in the United States. After all that walking it was time for lunch at "Forty One South" a restaurant overlooking the lake. Sunday evening we went to a home of one of Noel's friends for a lovely dinner on her patio.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

 Clock Tower Clock Tower
Clock Tower

Burlington Northern Clock Tower
NoelNoel
Noel

Noels way of starting a fire
Lunch at 41 SouthLunch at 41 South
Lunch at 41 South

Noel and Carolyn overlooking the lake
Karin, Noel and CarolynKarin, Noel and Carolyn
Karin, Noel and Carolyn

Dinner on the patio at Karin's


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb