A Helo Ride in Hilo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
November 3rd 2017
Published: September 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Partly Cloudy – Chance of rain 75°F

The alarm goes off at 10:30 in the morning. Actually, it's only 7:30 because because of the three time changes having occurred and my phone not recognizing them. Besides, we have to be at the airport at 10:30am for our helicopter ride over the Volcanoes National Park. If you know me, it's not just any helicopter ride. It's a small 4 seater chopper Huey 500 and just for us, they are taking the back doors off. This should give us a real "in your face" experience with lava flows, steam, sulfur smell and the lush tropical scenery afforded by the island. But first, breakfast.

Not much to see here. Some fruit, oatmeal, orange juice and coffee. Karen has the same. Most of the passengers have already left the ship, having booked excursions for the entire day. Ours is just for a few hours so we can set a more leisurely pace. We disembark a little after 9 and catch a cab out in front of the pier. A perky Hawaiian lady from Miranda's Tours offers us passage to the Hilo Airport and we accept. Now this airport is located, as many often are, adjacent to the port. Unfortunately, by car it's not that close as we must go way around to the other side and approach it from the west. Trust me. I checked it out on Google back at home. The end result is a $16 fare, basically eating up "1 Big Jackson" or $20. We have a nice conversation with the lady on the way and arrive in about 15 minutes without incident right in front of Paradise Helicopters.

It's only 9:50 so we check in with Sean and then hang out in the small airport. Karen's not excited about having to weigh in, unaware that I submitted her approximate number weeks earlier when making the reservation. To ease her mind, Sean tells a story of a one lady, very apprehensive about the weigh in, that was adamant about not getting on any scale but Sean was patient and finally, with some trepidation, she steps on the scale pad. Unfortunately, at that same instant and probably related to some ongoing airport construction, the airport fire alarm starts blasting. The gal, her face red with embarrassment, jumps off that scale while Sean tries unsuccessfully to explain. Good story. With registration complete, Mom sends out a few texts, now that we have cell service for the first time in 5 days. After an hour, we return to Paradise Helicopters counter for a pre-flight check and orientation about our ride. This helicopter travels at 145 mph and with no doors, they stress the importance of loose items not flying out of the openings, damaging the rotor and bringing the chopper down. All cameras must have straps, no hats, extra glasses and loose junk in pockets. We brought light jackets as they say it can be cold. We follow the expediter out to the landing pad. I'm the first to board the rear seat followed by Mom. Another couple share the front seat with the pilot, Lucca.

Within minutes, we're up and flying above Hilo and towards the lava flows. Lucca explains how previous eruptions affected the land and population of the island and we see first hand from 1500' above. The cooled lava flows are spectacular and extend for miles in all directions. We skirt the coastline, the steam billowing up from the hot lava entering the sea. Next we check out a crater with an active lava flow, the pilot taking time to circle left, then right so all aboard can get photos and videos while Lucca continues with explanations of the sites below us. Karen seems comfortable in her seat, only inches from a 1000' plunge to the ground below. From her perch, she operates a video camera, capturing our adventure for all. We leave the volcanic activity behind and check out two beautiful waterfalls from above before returning to the airport. Paradise Helicopters was a great place and very professional. Trip Advisor agrees.

Completing our only planned activity for Hilo, we return by cab to the port and reboard our ship. With only a light lunch, we lounge out at the pool, waiting for the rest of the passengers to return from their activities. Mom takes pictures while I type. The 5 o'clock hour brings 3 blasts from the ship's horn, signaling we are underway to our next port of call, Honolulu. We take this as our cue for dinner, returning to our cabin to change. We encounter no line at the dining room and are seated at once. It's another table for 10 and I'm in between a man who speaks no English and a deaf gentleman. No conversation tonight for me although Karen is next to a lady we met a couple of nights ago so they yap all through dinner. Not me. I say a little louder, "Not me!". Tonight I have chilled melon, scallops and cheescake. Karen has crab cake, pork shoulder and a chocolate desert.

After dinner, we check out the "Battle of the Sexes" where the men compete against the women answering questions about songs, word definitions, game skills and trivia. It's fun and gets us to 9pm when we call it a night. Karen has a shower while I write some blog material and that's it for today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Lots of Dead TreesLots of Dead Trees
Lots of Dead Trees

Pilot says lava cooled too fast to burn trees up


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb