Paradise Cove Public Beach: A New World of Wonder


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
August 14th 2016
Published: August 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It’s called “Paradise Cove Public Beach,” and how could it be called anything else? The small lagoon within the Ko Olina resort area on Oahu looks as perfect as anything Hollywood could create. If you’re looking for serenity and a great place to take the family for a ½ day outing or so, this is it!



After traveling 30 or so minutes north of downtown Honolulu, or 20 minutes from the airport on H-1 West past exits for Ewa Beach and Kapolei continuing onto Farrington Highway, there will be an almost unexpected turn-off into the Ko Olina Resort area. You might have an “Oh, we’re here?” reaction to the quick change of scenery, suddenly surrounded with a championship golf course, a Disney Resort, and a small shopping area located just outside of a gated residential community.



Next to the Four Seasons resort at Ko Olina is a small public parking area. There are around 20 free parking spots for the earliest of risers and an adjoining parking lot where the cost to park is six dollars for ten hours. I found this to be astonishingly inexpensive. After parking, there is a short (~200 meters) path under palm canopy to the beach.



Exiting the path onto the beach feels as if stepping onto a movie set. One can imagine Elvis Presley or Annette Funicello or Tom Hanks or perhaps another beach (or “beached” in the case of Hanks) character basking in either the drenching sunlight or lapping waves.



The lagoon is bound to the front and left by rocks that make for natural waterfalls when the waves from the open ocean crash over them. Protected by the rocks, parents and children swim with no worries. The beach is not crowded, and given a few clouds for some passing shade, the scene is as calm and relaxing as any I can picture.



I recommend bringing snorkel gear to Paradise Cove public beach if you have it, especially fins as there are coral and Sea Urchin on the floor in some places. Near the shore, however, it is sandy and there’s no need for footwear. One note--If this paradise has a flaw it is that there are no public restrooms here so you’ll need to plan accordingly.



Within the lagoon, turtles are a common sight. I
Sea Turtle in the Shallow WaterSea Turtle in the Shallow WaterSea Turtle in the Shallow Water

Sea turtles are a common site at the 'Cove Public Beach, but don't touch!
witnessed one swimming right past people as the folks were standing and photographing the graceful creature. The snorkeling is otherwise okay; if you’re looking for turtles, this is a near can’t-miss location.



Left of the main lagoon and just along a sandy path through rocks on either side is a still quieter cove. The scene is again breathtaking and perhaps more serene than at the first pool.



As I walked back through the main path from this beautiful world to the parking lot, I felt like a character in a fantasy movie, as if I were coming back from Neverland or Wonderland or Narnia or a similar place.



As such, I can’t wait to go back to this “new world!”



Mahalo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th September 2016

Turtle Photos Courtesy of Melissa Seppala
Melissa Seppala captured the turtles swimming below her at Paradise Cove Public Beach, Ko Olina Resort, Oahu, Hawaii.
10th March 2018
Paradise Cove Public Beach:  Skies and Sand

Be careful of the rip tides
Wonderful place. Please watch for the riptide between the centre rocks. There are no buoys to demark the danger area unless the luau has hired lifeguards which is only abut 3 days per week. If you happen to get pulled out, don't panic but swim north or south as there are some more beaches you can get to.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb