Some days just do not go as planned...even in a tropical paradise!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
April 6th 2014
Published: April 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Makai




Towards the Ocean




Well...Brett was not better after his throw up escapade incident last night...he was up from 11:30 to 2:30 am sick on the hour, every hour. Pretty sure it wasn't the pork or the salt water but really hard to say. Aaron told him maybe he swallowed turtle poop at Hunauma Bay and got some version of turtle fever. What a Bummer!! We had big plans today too, it was our dolphin snorkel and luau day😞. We weren't sure if we could reschedule so we had a talk with Brett about staying behind if they wouldn't let us and at that point he didn't care, he just knew he could not go based on how he felt. It didn't feel right at all, leaving him behind, but we knew he would sleep the whole time we were gone. As it turned out, the girls, Aaron and I went and they are letting Aaron go for free with Brett a different morning this week. So, it's not how we planned it, but everyone still gets to go.




We set sail at 7 am and drove around looking for dolphins, but we did

not spot any so we headed to a place called the turtle cleaning station. Sea turtles come here and little fishes clean their shells. It was awesome. We saw at least 4 big turtles and lots and lots of fish. We were able to feed them and at some points you were swarmed by over 100 fish. Aaron had little yellow ones nibbling on him. It was a great experience snorkeling in the deep ocean water, although I think the variety of fish was better at Hunauma Bay and it was also fun at the bay to have all the little reefs to swim in and out of. After snorkeling for about 45 minutes we ventured out on the search for spinner dolphins. Never did find any, but we hit the humpback whale jackpot! We saw three different groups of whales. LANAKILA! VICTORY! I would have loved to get so close that they were right next to the boat, but that wasn't possible. Aaron and Hanna got great some great pictures...okay, I admit, they are better than mine, but we were much closer. We snorkeled some more and one of our guides had promised Hanna she would find her a starfish so she joined us in the water and did not disappoint. She found a couple of pin cushion starfish, a sea star and some urchins. She even found urchin shells leftover from when fish ate them and let the girls keep them. I am hoping Brett and Aaron get to experience the dolphins later this week!


When we returned Brett had just woken up and felt much better. We still just laid around the pool and condo all day until around 5. We took naps, did laundry etc. I couldn't help but feeling like we were wasting a day, but there was nothing we could about it today. We rescheduled our luau for Thursday night. After another nap and a shower Brett felt ready to eat. We went down to the beach bar and had fabulous hawaiian cocktails and smoothies. Maggie discovered she does like coconut...at least the sugary cream coconut base of the most awesome smoothies ever. Then walked the shore to Aulani, the Disney resort. You need a key card to get in from the beach, but as luck would have it we grabbed an open gate before it closed when someone went in. Yea!

Hang 'in Loose at MonkeyPods KitchenHang 'in Loose at MonkeyPods KitchenHang 'in Loose at MonkeyPods Kitchen

More great cocktails. I had a Pod Thai and Aaron had a Blueberry Mojito.
We were in too! It was ridiculous in there. Beautiful pools with a lazy river and the landscaping was all Disney. Top notch! We spotted Chip-n-Dale but I guess my kids feel they are too old to pose with the two most famous chipmunks ever for even one picture anymore. I got shut down real fast by all three of them. Once in side the decor and every little detail was awesome. We trespassed a little more and then headed across the street to MonkeyPods for dinner. Highly recommended by Lisa and she is right...it was a great dinner. Brett was so wanting something spicy. We knew he had turned the corner when he felt he needed hot sauce. We strolled around the shopping center and found some more "Lisa must tries"...Maui Style potato chips and Moana Loa chocolate dipped macadamia nuts.


Wildlife report: more whales, fish and turtles




Funny saying of the day: At dinner, after Aaron finished his steak Brett asked if he was all done so he could put his finger in his leftover juice on the plate. He also said his wings were "fancy" because they were all spiced up.








Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A whale of a tale!A whale of a tale!
A whale of a tale!

This was one of many Alaskan Humpback whales we saw today. They migrate to the waters off Oahu to mate and have their babies then head back 3,000 miles to Alaska.
Cocktails Beachside...again!Cocktails Beachside...again!
Cocktails Beachside...again!

I had a lychee daiquiri (it came with a lychee skewer and I admit I was afraid because it looked like a scallop). Delicious! Hanna's Wild Mango, Maggie's Hula Girl, Brett's Roy Roger and Aaron's Mojito.
This little guy is called a Mahune (Ma-Hoo-née)This little guy is called a Mahune (Ma-Hoo-née)
This little guy is called a Mahune (Ma-Hoo-née)

According to the host at Aulani he is a mini builder or dwarf who can build amazing things really fast, like within a day and then they like to play. The Mahune is very mischievous and this guys face turned and followed you when you walked by.


7th April 2014

Wow
This has been great to follow along with you on your trip. I am so glad you guys are having a blast and that Brett is feeling better now. Great pictures!!! Kerrigan is soooo jealous:)
9th April 2014

Maggie will have so many great stories to share at morning meeting you'll never get her to shut up:). So glad you are able to follow along on our journey I think the only real reasons we are coming back are our dogs and soccer...although we have seen a couple fields here!!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb