Arriving in Paradise!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
April 4th 2014
Published: April 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Leaving on a jet plane!Leaving on a jet plane!Leaving on a jet plane!

Heading out of Chicago on the first leg of our trip.

Aloha Kakahiaka!



We did it. We said goodbye to cold, crappy Michigan and are now soaking up the sun in beautiful Hawaii. What an amazing trip it was getting here. Since we normally drive everywhere, it was a crazy concept for us to wake up in Chicago at 4:00 am and by 3:00 pm (note the 6 hour time change) Brett, Hanna and Maggie we're snorkeling in the lagoon and Aaron and I were drinking a Lava Flow on the beach. Good Times! Really doesn't get any better than that!!

Our flights were great. We had a 4 hr 44 minute flight to San Francisco and a 5 hr 25 minute flight to Honolulu. The views of the Rocky Mountains and Yosemite Valley from the plane as we came into California were breathtaking. About 25 minutes before we landed in California Maggie's chair broke and would not stay in the upright position so she had to move up front and sit alone and I had to move in the back while we landed. The kids loved being able to watch movies and eat junk food the whole way and we also tried to sleep as much as possible because Lisa told us we HAVE to stay awake as late as possible the first day to adjust to the time change. We landed in Honolulu, got our bags, rented a 4 door Jeep and were at the beach villa within and hour of landing! To feel the heat and breeze of warm summer sunshine was awesome! Hanna said she is definitely going to live here someday.

We spent a couple hours exploring all the lagoons at the resort and walked down to the Ko Olina Marina. What they say is true...the sounds and smells of Hawaii are wonderful. There is the constant, beautiful sound of chirping birds everywhere and the hum of the roaring ocean, along with the smell of sweet Hawaiian flowers. I even saw a live bird of paradise flower. We finished our first day by heading into Kapolei and eating at Chili's (of all places) but our lack of real sleep hit us and Maggie fell asleep at the table. We ran into Safeway to get some groceries and some necessities Lisa told us not to pass up...Apple bananas, coconut syrup and POG (passion fruit, orange, guava juice). All just as amazing as they sound! When
Yosemite Valley Yosemite Valley Yosemite Valley

The amazing view from the plane as we cross over California
we opened the back of the jeep Brett was curled up and sound asleep in the trunk. We made it until 9:45pm which was like 3:45 am Michigan time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Koi PondKoi Pond
Koi Pond

Hanna and Maggie alongside the most amazing, never ending Koi pond on the Ko Olina resort. There were over 200 fish in the pond and kids got to feed them.
Drinks beachside!Drinks beachside!
Drinks beachside!

Enjoying our first Hawaiian drink. A lava Flow! Fresh strawberry purée, coconut purée and rum! Amazing!!
Ocean LagoonOcean Lagoon
Ocean Lagoon

The kids watching two sea turtles in one of the four lagoons at the resort.
Sea TurtleSea Turtle
Sea Turtle

We saw two sea turtles that swam within inches of us. Awesome!


6th April 2014
Bird of Paradise flower

?
I've had one (or five) of those lava flows! Can't wait to follow your adventures.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb