The Land of Aloha


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

From the gorgeous beaches to the mountains, Hawaii is just as beautiful as I had imagined. I am struck by the brilliance of the colors. Even the rainbows are more vibrant here than ones I've seen at home. Driving along the side of the mountains is incredible, even humbling. Their large scale and abundant foliage are really stunning.

The beaches on Oahu are beautiful, of course, and there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas, though I think I have enjoyed Kailua and Lanikai more than Waikiki because they are a bit more remote. The views at these beaches are lovely, and the water is almost emerald in color.

If you are ever on Oahu, you must eat at Haleiwa Joe's. I highly recommend it! We went to the location in Kaneohe. The restaurant and bar are open air and overlook mountains, which makes for a great atmosphere. The food on this seafood-focused menu is delicious, the service exceptional. While there was a long wait for our table (it was a Saturday night), the pineapple-donned cocktails are tasty and help to pass the time, while the other customers are eager to strike up a conversation.

I highly recommend a visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial, which is both a sobering and spiritual experience. The human spirit is truly present there. The USS Missouri is another piece of history that is worth seeing. We felt lucky that our tour guide was a WWII vet.

Hawaii is definitely a spectacularly beautiful place to visit, and the island of Oahu is a must if you like history. The other typical tourist attractions, like luaus, the Dole Plantation, and an underwater submarine, are also fun activities that we've enjoyed here. The lifestyle on these gorgeous islands seems to be a result and reflection of the surrounding landscape, as the calm breezes, scenic views and comfortable temperature can't help but relax you and put you in friendlier spirits.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb