The Real Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
January 9th 2009
Published: January 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wakiki is great but you need to get out into the country to find the Real Hawaii. I found a hostel in Makaha on the west coast, the least touristy area but it is starting to pick up. It's great here. Very different. Makaha is not a rich area. Most people here are indigenous Hawaiians living in small fibro houses. There are also lots of homeless people living on the beaches. House prices have doubled in Hawaii in the last 5 years due to mainlanders buying up holiday homes. So even people with a minimal wage job can't afford to buy or even rent a cheap house. But Makaha has beautiful scenery and beaches and turtles and whales. After arriving here I went for a walk along the coast and there is this little cove where turtles swim and come onto the beach. When I was there a baby turtle came in to the beach. Then when walking along the coast we saw a pod of about 7 or 8 whales swimming. I also found lots of crabs and sea urchins and starfish in rock pools. Then today I went up the valley to the Makaha Towers a Gated Community (which wouldn't let me in). But the scenery was Beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb