Day Six / Final Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
April 16th 2008
Published: April 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Paradise CoveParadise CoveParadise Cove

Okay, this is only a pineapple flavored serving of shave ice. I did have a Mai Tai or two during the show -- sadly, no photos.
Aloha once again everyone! 😊

Our last planned stop in Oahu was at a luau in Paradise Cove on the leeward side of the island. We'd not explored that side of Oahu at all, so reaching our destination was a bit of a Mapquest adventure. Despite a few wrong turns, we managed to arrive on time and in one piece at the Ko Olina resort.

At Paradise Cove, the luau grounds had a carnival atmosphere, i.e. many many activities going on all at once. I spotted tattoo artists, carvers, bead merchants, canoe rides, javelin throwing, tree climbing, hula lessons, trained parrots, and fishermen giving lessons on how to fish in the traditional Hawaiian manner (by casting a net). Grandma wasn't feeling in top shape so we took turns keeping her company on the veranda and checking out the various events.

The luau dinner featured kapua (a whole pig slow-roasted in a pit for 12 hours), fish, chicken, rice, and lots and lots of Mai Tais. A Canadian newlywed party sitting behind us particularly enjoyed the Mai Tais -- I never knew Canadians were so boisterous! We sat next to another newlywed couple from Australia who were very sweet and showed us photographs of Brisbane on their digital camera. I had to explain to them where Oregon was and what the weather was like, etc. The bride was surprised to learn that there's a difference between Washington state and Washington DC, but in all fairness, I didn't know where Queensland or Brisbane were, so we both learned somthing. 😊 After dinner the performers put on an hour long show with live music, hula dancing, knife throwing and fire juggling. Again, very much the carnival atmosphere and very fun!

I'm thoroughly exhausted, enormously happy, and appreciative to have had this experience (the trip as a whole). Tomorrow we'll be packing up our things and enjoying the last day at the beach house. After packing, I intend to spend the rest of the day on our little slice of Ewa Beach doing absolutely nothing. That includes blogging, so this will be my last entry unless something entertaining or interesting happens and I happen to catch it on camera.

It's been a wonderful trip, mahalo for reading, see you all back at home soon!








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Paradise CoveParadise Cove
Paradise Cove

This woman is a fourth generation carver, and the only female carver in her family. She was working on this very cool piece as I walked by.
Paradise CoveParadise Cove
Paradise Cove

A fisherman casting his net


1st May 2008

Paradise Cove
wow, the pics look great and seem like you had really had a great time at the Paradise Cove. I have been there twice and also i have been to other Luaus on Oahu. Paradise Cove is really the best from point of view of a show. But i would reccomend you to go also to Sea Life Park luau which show is great too. The difference between the two SLP and PCL is that there are much less people at the Sea Life Park, while at Paradise Cove there are many more. Anway, i have written a detailed article about Hawaii luaus and you could check it out here http://www.to-hawaii.com/luau.php Best wishes Nia

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb