The Gathering Place


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
September 8th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Aloha everyone! We safely arrived in Honolulu on Sunday 2nd September after our long 2 flight journey from NY. We were flying with American Airlines and didn’t quite have the luxury we had had on our B.A. flights. No food provided no film choice and one screaming child - it was a bit like being on a big bus for 12 hours! We were also delayed by 2 and half hours which didn’t exactly lighten our spirits. We couldn’t be annoyed for long though - the minute you arrive in Honolulu you can’t help but smile! Bruce’s friend Barry met us and we drove up to the windy North Shore in his jeep - which has no windows and left my hair literally standing on end. Not a good look!

Everyone at camp is really friendly and thrilled to see Bruce again - what a welcome! On our first day at camp we spent the morning on the beautiful beach just behind our cabin - we could not be much closer to the ocean. We were just having a wee look around and saw what we thought was a rock about 50m away - as we got closer we realized it was a monk seal who had also decided to soak up the rays on the beach! He was there most of the day - he lasted way longer than us! In the afternoon we headed out with Barry who took us a wee tour of Hale’iwa and Waialua (towns closest to camp) and we went shopping in Milliani because Bruce was desperate to look in Sports Authority for more t-shirts!

We’ve spent most of the week lounging around on the beaches of the North Shore, in Hale’iwa doing a spot of shopping (for those familiar with the area we have already been to Waialua Bakery -yum - and Morgan I got one of the bikinis you recommended!) and doing the odd bit of walking which gave us great views over the area….and you guessed it plenty of photo opportunities!

Thursday evening we went out with Brian to visit Bridget at her house and got a surprise when Andi was there as well. We also ate a great local food called Poke Ahi which is basically raw tuna steak marinated with soy and greens with rice - it is a bit like sushi and tastes great. We watched a bit of American Football which wasn’t so great!

A big highlight of yesterday was seeing Lost being filmed in Hale’iwa. It seems there will be some sort of Caribbean theme to a character as it was all made up like Antiqua. We were able to stand just across the road from the scene. We didn’t see any of the main characters though- we think one of them must have been inside the shop. Still pretty exciting though - well it was for us Lost geeks!

Tomorrow we are flying to the Big Island to see the volcanoes and visit the lava flows. Can’t wait!







Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



9th September 2007

Looks like heaven guys, at least from where I am standing in Newbury.
10th September 2007

how much do i miss that?
i'm glad you guys made it there and are having a wonderful time. continue to soak in the beauty! best, g.
10th September 2007

MMMMMM Burger
I ate at a Burger stand called Kua Aina I think. Can you bring me one back to Thailand when you come? My mouth is watering.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb