Hilo Hattie's to Waimanalo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waimanalo
October 22nd 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We took the scenic route from Hilo Hattie's in Honolulu back to Waimanalo, and stopped here and there to take photos from various lookout points. The first stop was along Maunalua Bay to take pictures of the Hanauma Bay crater, though I originally mislabeled these particular photos as being of Diamonhead.

The next stop was an overlook looking down on Hawai'i Kai, and back over Maunalua Bay back to Waikiki and Honolulu, where I took a bunch of bad pictures, but managed a couple of a red-crested cardinal that came out quite well. This lookout point was just up above Hanauma Bay, but alas, we didn't have a view of the bay because the ridge continued to rise between us and the Bay.

After that, we stopped at Lana'i Lookout, where the shore was rocky and eroded from eons of surf pouding the shore. The wave action was pretty interesting here, and I got a nice sequence of a wave crashing onto the shore. Everbody was taking pictures like crazy here. There were many people who ignored the signage indicating the danger of getting swept off the rocks by the surf. In their defense, it didn't look all that dangerous when we were there. I didn't climb the wall and go down there, though, mostly because it would have been a good climb to get back up and there weren't any pictures I could get from down there that looked all that interesting.

We went up the road to the Halona Blowhole Lookout and got to watch the surf make the blowhole blow. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I didn't get any really good shots of the blowhole going off. I did, however, get a good shot of all the ladies taking pictures at the blowhole.

Finally, we headed back to Waimanalo for the evening.

As usual, for more photos, see my Hawai'i 2006 Flickr set.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Halona Blowhole LookoutHalona Blowhole Lookout
Halona Blowhole Lookout

Judy, Barb, Cheryl and Laura overlooking the Halona Blowhole.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb