Made it to Nawiliwili


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i » Nawiliwili
October 2nd 2010
Published: October 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nawiliwili, Kauai


Lighthouse at NawiliwiliLighthouse at NawiliwiliLighthouse at Nawiliwili

Entrance to harbor
Well it is September 29th and we made it. Entered the Harbor at Nawiliwili in Kauai, Hawaii and man was it nice to have the ship sitting still. I think a lot of people were not feeling well on the way over. We go here a day early since we had to turn around as I mentioned before.

This is one of three stops we are making in Hawaii (being a chain of 8 islands). Kauai is small with only 63,000 people. We have a great day scheduled tomorrow. I emailed Ellen at Wings over Kauai, whose husband, Bruce gives tours in his Cessna 182 (I think) of the island. It was 70 minutes of some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen. Waimea canyon, which is called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific was incredible. 3000 feet deep and home to the wettest area in the world. The highest peak at 5,200 feet, gets over 400 inches of rain per year.

This is the island where Fantasy Island was filmed (Da plane, Da plane), Jurassic park and 6 days/7 nights was filmed. We even got some beautiful shots of the waterfall from Fantasy Island.

Bruce
ObstaclesObstaclesObstacles

Our ship had to dodge these
used to work on a big farm here creating corn seed hybrids for Monsanto and Pioneer. Who would of thought. They can grow 4 plantings of Corn here vs. 1 a year in Nebraska. So they can come up with hybrids a lot faster. His children went to school here. With only 3 high schools, they play each other in sports over and over again (all the other islands are a plane away).

We then went and had a nice Pina Colada and swam in the ocean. The water was like a bathtub. The island is very laid back and from what I could figure out, you either served tourists or worked for the County Goverment. The majority of land and an Island just off the coast are owned by the Robinson Family. They bought it back in the mid 1800's.

The island only has 60 people on it and they are all Hawaiian. The big chunk of land by the canyon lies empty since they can not afford to grow Sugar Cane anymore. It looks like paradise, but I think it would be hard to get a job and pay a mortgage on a $450,000 shack.
Another shipAnother shipAnother ship

Another Holland America ship a little bigger than ours

Just for information:

Gas $3.70 gallon
Pina Colada $10.00
1200 square foot home $450,000

Not as bad as I would of thought, but still pricey. So that is about it. We sail tonight to Honolulu for 7 am. I will try to send the next post from there. Hope you are all doing good back home and Mahalo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lava flowsLava flows
Lava flows

You can see the lines between eruptions
Rugged coast Rugged coast
Rugged coast

The beach can only be acessesed from the ocean
The Fantasy Island WaterfallThe Fantasy Island Waterfall
The Fantasy Island Waterfall

If you look close, you can almost see Tattoo


4th October 2010

awesome
almost feel like I am there with you, Keep sending the blogs.
4th October 2010

Looks Beautiful!!!
Looks like a beautiful place! Cold and rain here. I'm thinking I like your view better!
6th October 2010

plane
is it a cessna 172 looks alot like my dads plane. the trip lookw like a lot of fun! keep the blogs coming hope to see you again someday.
16th October 2010

love the entries
The entries have been great and I have enjoyed following your adventures! You guys have a way better stomach than I would have to not get sick from the bumpy ride.
21st October 2010

Amazing!
I am so happy for you both! What an amazing adventure you have decided to go on... Glad that you are sharing it with everyone. You are right about following the standard societal norms... job, family, house... or tossing that out the window and going on an adventure... seeing what else life has to offer... Your pictures are amazing! I have decided to put Hawaii on my list of places to see! Can't wait to hear more about NZ once you get there! Be safe!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb