Sept 2, 2023


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
September 2nd 2023
Published: September 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

As usual, writing this for the 2ndamazes me, as it seems like we have squeezed in at least 2 full days, and not just one. I'm wiped out!

Of course we were up early, but this time waited for the sun. Made a coffee and arrived at the Paradise Bakery by 7:15 for our one purchase of Malasadas, a Portuguese filled donut. Evidently they make 1000 every morning, and yes they were mighty fresh. David had coconut cream filled, I had one filled with pineapple jam, and the other with a local fruit, lilikoi – like passionfruit. We ate one right away before driving the 30-40 mins north to the Black 49 Beach, just south of where we were yesterday at Mauna Lani. We were #13 for 20 parking passes – it is a holiday weekend after all.

So, with only 20 parking places, it sure wasn’t crowded. As usual, the water felt cold, but the sand was dark gray and very soft. We snorkeled for 1.5 hours and then sat out in the sun to warm up and have our second donut. One more hour before we left. The variety was wonderful, and the water perfectly clear (no fresh water runoff we guess). THREE NEW FISH! I also saw a small eel undulating along the bottom but it hid too quickly for us to photograph it. Still no turtles.

The coral was so lovely at this site that I decided to create a D listing. Note the “petroglyph coral,” which looks like ancient writing on stone.

David’s ONE NEW BIRD is a red jungle fowl – a rooster! But it counts, I guess.

After lunch at home of cheese and crackers, and a short nap, we headed south a short ways to find the historical “fish ponds” nature walk just north of a marina. It was extremely high tide so there was barely any beach along the beach walk – I had walking sandals on but David had to carry his shoes as there was no way to avoid the waves. We wanted to see the turtles that come out of the sea late afternoon to rest on the beach. We saw LOTS of heads pop up, but they must have known we couldn’t have given them the mandatory 20’ distance so not one came up onto the sand while we were there – which was a lovely just-before-sunset time.

Quick stop at the grocery for eggs, just in case we can’t find food/restaurants open during Labor Day Weekend, and home to have yet another dinner of incredibly tender ahi tuna and rice and salad.

Almost forgot – tonight walking we saw our SECOND MONGOOSE. Boy are they fast!

As I write this, the frogs (?) and insects are making such an interesting racket outside our open sliding back door. Wish I could capture that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb