Introduction to Savannah, the "Hostess City of the South"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
July 3rd 2015
Published: July 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lovers of history, architecture, eclectic variety, civic pride, and friendly citizens would be hard pressed to find a more perfect holiday destination than Savannah. It was Georgia’s first city, founded by General James Oglethorpe in 1733, as the de facto capital of the British colony of Georgia. Savannah was an early example of urban planning, settled by hand-picked colonists, and a model of peaceful living which was destined to grow and prosper. Its original core is the largest registered National Historic District in the entire USA, 2.5 square miles (6.5 km²) in size with dozens of houses and buildings of historical significance. As the map shows, right from its founding in 1733 it was a model town, with many public squares and parks.

Today it’s the fifth largest city in the State of Georgia, and one of America’s most important seaports. Its core has about 140,000 people, and its metro area is home to around 360,000, slightly more than half of whom are Blacks. Its people are well educated, with four colleges and universities offering the full range of degree programs. It is blessed with a humid subtropical climate, and it rarely sees hurricanes or severe storms. Savannah is the most important container port on the East Coast, and the second largest one in the entire country.

While it was molded in prosperity, it was also forged in the crucible of strife, from the War of Independence (American Revolution), through the War of 1812, the horrendous War Between the States (US Civil War), and the major wars of the 20th century. Today it represents a microcosm of American history, of the bad as well as the good, while remaining a contemporary example of genteel southern living that makes it justly one of America’s most popular tourist destinations.

In this and future articles we will show you some of the many places and things that Margo and I came to appreciate there as we escaped the worst of the seemingly endless Winter of 2013 that clobbered most of North America.

Here are two good sources of more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah,_Georgia and http://www.visitsavannah.com/


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd July 2015
The National Historic District (NHD) has 24 public squares, shown in yellow, besides the enormous Forsyth Park.

Great map. I could easily spend a couple weeks there just roaming the historic district. As you know Savannah & other plantation cities are high on my bucket list ;o)
3rd July 2015
There are river cruises too.  Here is the Georgia Queen, a stern-wheeler.

oooooooo I love it, esp the lacy balconies!
3rd July 2015
The streets are lined with countless giant “live oaks” draped with ''Spanish moss''..

Amazing!
3rd July 2015
Savannah has churches of all denominations, such as Christ Church Episcopal (1838)....

ooooooooo Love it!!
3rd July 2015
Many of the squares have commemorative fountains.

aha you did some color channel swapping here? The frequent dappled light here would drive me batty, so I'd be using channel swapping too ;o)
3rd July 2015
There is great architectural variety, e.g. Federal, Victorian Regency, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate,

oh my! I'm almost orgasmic thinking about it LOL
3rd July 2015
It's not an eyesore, it's just ''quirky'' -- hands off!

Quirky is great!!
3rd July 2015
Dont fill in an old transom -- decorate and integrate it!

Great idea!
3rd July 2015
Finally, Winter is blessedly short in Savannah.

I can almost smell the blossoms from here ;o)
3rd July 2015
Here's about the only thing Savannah DOESN'T have !

hehehehe LOL

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb