Wormsloe, Bonventure and Tybee oh my


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
August 1st 2012
Published: August 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we did a road trip within our roadtrip. We visited three sights on the outskirts of Savannah, including the Wormsloe Historic Site, the Bonaventure Cemetery and Tybee Island. It was a great day.

Wormsloe is the former site of an historic settlement house and plantation, owned by the Noble Jones family in the early days of the founding of Savannah. There is a short movie at the visitors centre about the founding of Savannah (it was a christian charity utopia with no plantations, no lawyers etc...), a small museum, and some trails leading the the archaeological site of the original Tabee house of Noble Jones, the grave site of his son, some nice look out points on the natural surroundings and some other historical recreations. The highlight though is the 1 plus mile long avenue of live oak trees covered in Spanish Moss leading up to the site. Wow, what a site.

The Bonaventure cemetary is a prominent cemetary in Savannah, and used to be the home of the Bird Girl statue associated with the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil book and movie. It is no longer there, but there are some notable locals buried there and some very interesting and large gravestones, tombs and monuments. We drive and walked around it for 10-15 minutes, then took off for Tybee Island.

Ont he way to Tybee, just outside of the island town, we stoped for lunch at the Crab shack, a local seafood restaurant and all around fun time place with alligators and funky decor. It regularly wins best seafood in Savannah, so we had to stop for lunch. I ordered the Deviled Crab plate with a side of shrimp (the deviled crab is like a baked crab cake served in a crab shell) and Jackie ordered the shrimp salad sandwich with a side of slaw. It was all great and fresh and fun to eat. They also had a number of unique house made sauces to try, and a big hole in your table to toss the scraps. What fun.

Tybee was the highlight of the events of our little road trip I'd say. Tybee is a beach town on the Atlantic Ocean, only a 20 minute drive from downtown Savannah. It is like many a beach town on the Atlantic, with hotels, restaurant, beach wear stores and a pier. Oh, and a huge miles long beach. We spent a few hours playing in the surf, walking the beach, and relaxing. Body surfing as always is fun, especially just before we left as the surf picked up steam. It brings back memories of trips to Florida and Myrtle Beach as kids. Oh, and the sand everywhere, I remember that as well.

Dinner tonight was at a great Savannah institution, The Olde Pink House. It was recommended by the Bellman, by a couple we met at the wine and cheese reception, and was written about on Chowhound forums as well. The recommendations were right on, as the meal and experience were great. We have the fortune of being here during Savannah Restaurant Week, when fine restaurants in Savannah offer 30 dollar 3 course fixed price menus. There were 3 options on each course, I had the blackened shrimp with couscous salad, veal short ribs osso bucco style and chocolate cheese cake, and Jackie had the watermelon salad, Savannah paella, and peach upsidedown cake. All the dishes were great, and the Olde Pink House Itself, which is the only 18th century Savannah mansion still standing after a huge fire burned down the rest, was beautiful.

And to end it all off, on our last night in Savannah, which is the most haunted city in the US, we are going on the 6th Sense Haunted Tour of Savannah. Scarrryyyyy!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



2nd August 2012

Just wanted you both to know we're reading your blog each night and it looks like you two are having such a wonderful time - the pictures are amazing - are they taken with your camera or phone? We're both so happy for you that you're experiencing such amazing things and seeing so much and it seems meeting some wonderful people. Love you both and thanks for keeping us up to date with this blog.
2nd August 2012

great entry
Very fun perspective. Enjoyed your entry! Happy Travels.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb