The Journey Home from Savannah, GA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
May 17th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early on Monday so that we could get as much time in the city center as possible. After reading reviews on line we went to B.Mitchells for breakfast, the location close to the river and white chocolate banana bread french toast lured us in and was worth the visit. The staff brought a table outside for us and a bowl of water for Lola. We had read that Savannah was a dog friendly town but it is an understatement, they love dogs and so many people stopped to play with Lola, she just ate up the attention.

After breakfast we went down to the river in search for the candy store River Street Candy Store to pick up a few treats for the folks in Miami. Then we headed to Lady and Sons, for non-foodies this is the restaurant of Paula Deen's, there is a gift shop next door which was my goal to get my Mom something Paula since she loves her to bits!

The funny thing is, we did not plan on eating there since there is no outdoor seating and we heard the lines are insane. Well of course the lines were non-existent since it was the slow season, so had we not had Lola, and already eaten breakfast, we could of experienced the restaurant. I guess that is just a bit of Murphy's Law on our vacation.
Personally, if we didn't have Pnut waiting at home and work to return to on Wed. I would of happily stayed another day in Savannah, I am already planning on a trip back sometime this year.....just let me get over this road trip first!

The drive home just seem to take forever.....we commented how normally when heading home the drive seems faster but for some reason our drive just seemed never ending. Fortunately we got home by 8.30 in time to run out for dinner and some down time before heading to bed.
In summary we thoroughly enjoyed our first joint vacation with the Urban Family. I think our vacation styles complimented each other well and it was a joy experiencing things through Gabrielle's eyes!

In general I loved seeing the Smokey Mountains and visiting TN but I think now that we have been there, I would be happy not to return for a while. Never before have we seen so many butterflies, spiders and bumble bees, but I guess that is normal for the time of year just so different than here in Miami. We learned that a dulcimer is a string instrument and if you need one head to Gatlinburg! I am not sure I am made out for such a long road trip - but time will tell on that one:-) Next road trip may involve flying to Boston and driving to Maine, but we will see!


To see photos from the trip please check out www.hamfamcam.shutterfly.com - you can click on the album and see the slideshow where you can read the captions as well.
Traveling Hams signing off!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb