Day trippn Pt 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
June 28th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

City Park MonumentCity Park MonumentCity Park Monument

"Right ho, anybody see where those damn Yankees got to"
A couple days ago I set off for a trip to Savannah Georgia.
Now having complete (blind) faith in the car, actually I don't, I'm just telling myself its completly reliable.
But never the less, I headed up I95 eventually arriving at Savannah, unfortunately taking a wrong turn off as I got to Savannah and doing an unplanned tour of the suburbs while trying to find the historic part of town.
The map that I had taken only showed the historic part of Savannah not how to get there.
Eventually locating it and finding a parking spot, map in hand I was off to find the info centre.
After walking a few blocks in the heat etc I found the info centre, and their carpark..................
So after purchasing the prerequasite fridge magnet as my girlfriend is a bit of a magnet nut and my future well being is entirely dependant on the number of magnets I get for her.
Actually its not but thats just what I tell everybody.
A brouse of all the avaliable attraction leaflets was in order, and I decided on doing the open trolly bus tour, have done these in other cities in the past and is
Part of the old waterfrontPart of the old waterfrontPart of the old waterfront

At a glance the buildings are very unassuming, almost ordinary, but have a great "rustic" appeal
a good way of getting a quick look at all the major attractions, and what they are.
Often without the background on buildings etc they just tend to be another crusty old building as opposed to a crusty old building with a purpose.
There is 3 companies in Savannah doing these tours, all provide the same service and the all leave from the info centre ,two of them charge about $25 each and the $10, the decision of who to go with wasn't hard.
The reason was explained by my driver, the other two companies have counters (or something similar) in local hotels and lure their guests from them, this way they can charge more, but also at the same time have higher overheads to cover.
The $10 guys don't, they run from the info centre and a small office down the road.
So I did part of my tour before having to bail and rescue my car from its parking spot before getting a ticket, duely deposited it at the info centre carpark and jumped on the next bus and got 1 and a half tours for the price of one.
Savannah is the classic southern city, has the
Classic old building Classic old building Classic old building

Long since retired from origional purpose, now serving a new role, recycling on a grand scale.
history, the buildings,numerous small parks, the compulsary old nutter dressed in check shirt tucked into his jeans which are pulled up just a bit too far with a straw hat and a sign pointing out that the end is near and the devil is bad (true just look what he did to him) and for those amongst us who cant read he's yelling this in an "enthuastic" manner, the whole place almost has that feeling of a movie set. (Forrest gump meets deliverance??)
Which it has been on many occasions.
The scenes that Forrest Gump sat on a park bench were filmed in the historic part of Savannah, much to my dissapointment the bench is no longer there, or at least none of the three benches (1 location), why they needed three???
Savannah is definately worth a visit, and it really needs more than the day that I had there, spending a couple of days wandering around taking it all in would be better.
The historic district is compact enough that most people can walk around it easilly.
Make sure to get to the water front, just below Bay street, is really nice to sit back with a drink down
Front entranceFront entranceFront entrance

One of many beautifully designed entrances in the city.
there.
And if not driving a few more...
Thankfully the car also made it in one peice (just), as long as you can ignor the fact that the fabric on the rear half of the head liner came at adrift on the way back filling the car with dust, and while filling up with gas I noticed that the tailights had expired.
Both easilly fixed.....


Advertisement



30th June 2008

Lookout Scarlett O'Hara
Stickboy you Rock!!
30th June 2008

Amusing!
Keep the blogs coming..so amusing Stickboy..and very interesting.

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb