Update #8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Hinesville
September 18th 2009
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 31.8511, -81.5838

Yo from the Ark -



It's Tuesday and guess what it's raining again! Coming down in buckets. It's taken me forever to get started on this update, and will take a day or two to finish, since I've been constantly trying to keep things dry, keep from peeing my pants from the laughter and occasionally keep from crying from new hardships and of course, keep from killing Dave (the pics tell the story).



http://oscarswildadventure.smugmug.com/Travel/Update-8/9615453_Y5pYQ/1/647941121_5WfPn



Even through all the rain, we've had a ball. We've probably laughed more and harder when it was raining just because we look at each other and say "How the f*** did we get here?" We wouldn't change it but the fun has now become the reality which a lot of times is not much fun. Since it's been so long since I did an update, I'll try and hit the highlights of the last month. It's overwhelming trying to remember everything since everyday is filled with something different, it's really hard to keep up (maybe one less beer occasionally would help?).



We journeyed up to see Doc in Idaho Falls with only the name of the park he visited with Gypsy every day and the number of Kevin & Kate who would know where he was. Dave said we couldn't call his friends (What???) until we tried to find him ourselves (HUH?). Needless to say, 3 parks, a couple of hours and late afternoon provided the OK for giving Kevin a call (if we had just sat where we called from for about an hour, we would've found him all on our own so I'm saying we did). We had a great time at his favorite bar (across the street from the park, like I said, 1 hour and we would've fallen over him) and met all his friends. Thanks for the dinner, Doc. I'm very proud to be part of the rubber tramps! Can't wait to see you next spring in Vegas! Lessons learned: 1. Patience.



We had planned to camp from Doc's into Yellowstone but did you know that's bear country? Too early in the trip to be eaten by a local so we returned to Utah (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Shawn) and then carried on to Green River where we searched for the resting place of Mary, the daughter of Mike and June. After riding in a gale force wind blasted wasteland for 4 hours (we must really really really love you guys), I called June to find out where we could place the flowers and Mike was sure it was section L (NOT!). An hour of searching, 3 calls to June and 1 to the city of Green River, we finally accomplished our goal and had a beer to toast the ones we've all lost. Lessons learned: 1. Cemetery's get much bigger over twenty plus years and memory doesn't. Upon arrival, call the number on the sign and save two hours. 2. Wyoming is windy and there's nothing around for miles (that's why they charge an arm and a leg for a hotel room). Nobody can camp (maybe insane people) in 50 mile an hour winds in a tent trailer.



Our first couple of campsites had no water which meant no shower or flush toilet but the pits weren't all that bad (there was tissue, and I do mean tissue, paper to wipe your butt). Even though Tom & Deb (Excellent People) in Florence, Colorado was our next stop, we had to get a room about 3 hours out and have a shower (I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but Dave's feet were a little aromatic). Tom & Deb's place is so homey & comfortable we had to stay more than one night. Thank you so much for your hospitality. We laughed a whole lot (now that's a surprise) about all our past lives in Vegas (and our successful escape) and drank more than one beer celebrating our exodus. This will be a visit marked for eternity: Not only for the love and laughter we shared with friends but DAVE HOLLERED AT ME!!!! The blond struck again and we almost lost the Tom-Tom (that would have been cheap compared to what happens later). Luckily Dave found it in the grocery store parking lot (a half hour later) and with just a scratch (my hero). Lessons learned: 1. Quit relying on the blond to keep track of your shit. If you took it off the mount, it's your responsibility to put it back on. 2. Friends who've left Vegas thrive in small town America and seem to have no long lasting ill effects from living there (at least nothing noticeable).



We camped at a wonderful state park, John Martin Reservoir, at least until the first morning when I placed a collapsible bucket full of water on the table and it promptly collapsed (maybe that's why they call it collapsible) and drenched the laptop and my cell phone (told you the Tom-Tom was a cheap blond induced disaster). The loss of $3,000 worth of electronics and the storm of the first day made for a very rocky start. Trying to keep things dry when you don't have anyplace to put them reminded us AGAIN that we had ordered a cabana room for just this occasion (still on back order so we're told - 3 months is a helluva back order - must be made of gold by virgins). Even though the week was filled with disasters and deep disappointments (my dad living twenty minutes away hung up on me when I called), we liked the place so much, we stayed an extra day. Lessons learned: 1. If you're going to annihilate your electronics, don't do it in rural America. There's no Best Buy, Frys and only one computer guy within a couple hundred miles. 2. When a parent says they never want to talk to you again because you divorced a good man (Rik your welcome there anytime), don't call them. They really mean it and you're only looking for more heartache. 3. A Walmart $350 computer works (at a snails pace) almost as well as the top of the line model.



After two days traveling across Kansas which provided a moment that will go down as one of the funniest we've had. Picture it: El Dorado, Kansas. Half asleep at 4am, I look out the motel room window, I swear (may I be struck blind, never mind that's already happened) the trailer is missing and start screaming. Dave bolts straight up and for the door, butt ass naked, and runs out into the parking lot. Of course, this motel is on the main street and we have the first room about 10 yards off the road. It could have only been worse if he'd gotten arrested for public indecency since the trailer was just fine. Scared the shit out of him and we now have a lock. Take the trailer, you gotta take the bike. Lessons learned: 1. A $2 lock goes a long way to peace of mind. 2. Full coverage insurance goes even further to help you sleep. 3. Wearing underwear to bed is a good idea when sleeping with a crazy woman who can't sleep at 4 am.



Even though we thoroughly enjoyed (notice my positive spin) our next campground, Stockton Lake, Missouri, the rain was beginning to wear me out. After too many calls to too many people trying to get the back ordered cabana, we broke down and visited Paula's mother ship, Pro Bass Shops Outdoorworld, and purchased a screened cabana (the virgins weren't done making the other one yet, still back ordered / lost/ misplaced - take your pick). What a difference a cover makes. With the exception of the racist asshole in the bar outside town, the camper across the way who bemoaned how much money he'd lost in this market (still owns 4 houses, not counting the one he drove in or the one he's building) and the bugs flying up Dave's butt in the pit toilet (he was amazed), a good time was had by all. Choctaw Arkansas was amazing (go figure, everything stayed dry) even though it rained at some point every day we were there. We discovered they still made Jiffy Pop, Dave's not really good at dominoes and I can't win at Phase 10 with a running start. The truly shocking, pull you up by the short hairs moment: It was a DRY (OMG - I'm hyperventilating) county. They should put up a huge sign screaming NO ALCOHOL at the beginning of these counties. Lessons learned: 1. Don't count on the virgins. Buy another one. 2. 40 miles round trip is not too far to travel for beer. 3. A print out of a states DRY counties is invaluable when trying to maintain a certain level of beer in the cooler.



General observations and lessons learned: 1. If 1 more person says they envy me, I'm going to slap them. 2. The suckey downside of living your life's dream is the loneliness. I love Dave but damn, I miss our friends sometimes. 3. Don't wait for a month to do an update.......you never feel finished.



And on that note I'm going to end this one at last Monday. The last few days traveling a state a day are going to require there own update all to themselves (I know the amount of pictures I've taken and I never want to post 100 photos like I did with this one!). In case you want to see our travels on the map, go to: www.travelpod.com and then oscarsadventures.



Enjoy our adventure and forgive someone today. There can never be enough forgiveness between those who love each other.



Love to all,

Debbie & Dave

Advertisement



7th December 2009

It would be nicer if your pictures were here instead of having to go to another place to see the pictures!
7th December 2009

I'll see what I can do. This update started with just emails to family and friends so the smugmug site worked well for them. If it's not too time consuming I'll try and repost the pictures to all the updates posted here on travelpod.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb