Georgia Aquarium


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
July 9th 2015
Published: November 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Georgia Aquarium
225 Baker Street NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
404.581.4000




The Georgia aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia is the largest aquarium in the western hemisphere. It accomidates tens of thousands of animals, representing several hundred species, all living in ten millon gallons of water. The Georgia Aquarium was the largest aquarium in the world when it was built in 2005, but in 2012 the Marine Life Park was completed in Singapore and surpassed the aquarium by a rather large measure.

The aquarium's exhibits are arrainged into five galleries, each related to a specific enviroment. You are free to choose which to see first, or follow the guided tour and see the begining of the water's path, through fresh water rivers and into the ocean. The River Scout exhibit features local enviroments as well as some exotic fresh water fish (Piranahs!). The Dolphin Tales exhibit uses an indoor dolphin stadium complete with a splash zone. There is also a large screen that describes the oceans fragile nature. Cold Water Quest, features animals from the polar and temperate regions of the world, includes beluga whales in the aquarium's second largest habitat.

The largest exhibit, Ocean Voyager, is the most amazing. All of the Georgia Aquarium's exibits will captivate young, and old. However, this exibit due to it's size, 6.3 million gallons, gives the aquarium the ability to house some of the oceans largest sea creatures. Specificaly, the Whale Shark can grow to be fourty-one feet long and weigh 47,000 pounds. It is the largest known living fish species, yet it's thoat is only the size a half dollar coin. This shark is a filter feeder. It has no teeth at all. It's slow, gracefull movements capture plankton for nourishment. My amazement cannot be described. This habitat features a 100 foot underwater tunnel, and one of the worlds largest viewing windows.

Finally, Tropical Diver, features many indio-pacific tropical fish. Seahorses, garden eels, jellyfish, clownfish, shrimp, lobsters, and many other tropical fishes inhabit a 164,000 gallon reef.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb