London_Budapest_Slovakia...Preparing for the trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
April 6th 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Background:

My mother and her sister were born in Budapest Hungary in the 1920's and lived in the wintertime in Budapest (Pest side) - and in the summer time they went to the summer home which was in Manya (called Nagy Manya) which was at that time part of Czechoslovakia, now it is Slovakia. My mother's recollection was that the village of Manya was very little with only one little grocery store and one doctor. They had to go to Verable (a nearby town) to shop which is about 10 kilometers from Manya. The Manya country house had about 80 rooms and a staff that included a governess (German and French), 1 or 2 teachers (home study).), 2 maids, a cook, 2 cook helpers, and a butler that serve meal (they wore white gloves). All was lost in the war; only pictures and personal correspondence with the staff, my mother, and aunt are still available to help document this heritage.

We're going back. My daughter, sister, and mother are all retracing the past: walking where mom walked, visiting libraries, schools, friends, homes, and towns between Budapest and Manya. We leave April 16 and return April 28 - this blog will be our window to friends and family who want to follow our travels.

We have airline tickets, hotel reservations, a digital camcorder and camera, and even gifts for the children who live in the orphanage / former house in Manya. We've planned for months and I think we are ready. Stay with us as we travel (via London-3 day stopover) to Budapest and Slovakia.





Advertisement



6th April 2006

Bon Voyage
I will look forward to reading all about your trip! My best to your Mom, Liz, etc. Have a ball and I hope it all turns out on a positive note. Fondly, Betsy

Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb