Niantic River, Waterford CT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » Waterford
October 16th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cape Neddick Nubble, MACape Neddick Nubble, MACape Neddick Nubble, MA

The big house on the point was recently built as a holiday house for $8M. Despite its massive floor area, it has only three bedrooms. What's that about?
Geo: 41.3651, -72.189

Today's notable event was the long wait to pick up a hire car after being dropped back in Boston. We were charged a $500 relocation fee when we last hired a car in Miami and dropped it off in NYC, so we were wary this time. Luckily Expedia provided an easy and affordable Budget (now Avis) Boston to NYC option this time, but the pick-up processing took ages.

It was an easy 100min drive down to Waterford, with cheap road tolls of $1.25 and $2.45. Mark and Caron built their beautiful house of the bank of the Niantic River three years ago, and it is a lovely wooded area with large house blocks (and houses).

After hellos and a cup of tea we drove 10min to the Niantic Boardwalk and went for a walk along the shore. We looked across the bay to the Millstone power plant, one of the more than 50 nuclear power stations in the US.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Nubble LighthouseNubble Lighthouse
Nubble Lighthouse

Accessible via a wire rope causeway.
Mark & Caron's houseMark & Caron's house
Mark & Caron's house

And our very fine Chevy Cruze hire car.
Niantic RiverNiantic River
Niantic River

What a great outlook from their back deck! Mark complained that when the seagulls steal fish from the Ospreys, they choose to dine on his dock and then leave a bloody mess.
Zoomed feasting seagullZoomed feasting seagull
Zoomed feasting seagull

And sure enough, the next morning we saw a gull. Didn't see the Osprey, though. Apparently the Bald Eagles also steal fish from the Osprey, who obviously need to harden up! The river water is clear with lots of fish, which I suppose is a testament to its natural health.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb