Going inland again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Wasco
June 21st 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Enjoyed listening to the sea as we fell asleep - a fancier than most (for us) motel room.

First thing in the morning, Jim took his bike and secured a camping spot at a nearby site. I packed up and once he returned, we packed the bikes and headed over there and put up the tent. I had booked a couple of places on a tour around Hearst castle, so we headed back up the road to San Simeon. The castle and grounds are fascinating, although being herded in a guided tour does go against the grain, and I did draw the line at wearing a wrist band label. But its the only way to see it, and its worth it. Again, I wish I could download photos, but again, if anyone is interested, there is lots on it if you Google Hearst castle with lots of images.

In the afternoon we did manage to complete the task of getting our laundry done, so smelling a little sweeter!

Another night of listening to the sea.

Thursday 20th June

Set off, and after a good breakfast in Cayucos, on the coast, we started to head inland again and away from highway 1. Immediately the scenery changes and the temperature starts to go up. It becomes much quieter and more isolated - that sounds more attractive than it actually is, like everything here, it goes to extreme, and its actually good to see other vehicles! The trip back across from the coast is about 150 odd miles, and the major part of that we saw no cars, and its always a little nerve wracking when we get low in fuel, but so far we've been lucky and something has always turned up. Again, the landscapes have changed dramatically, and in those miles, we've been through advocado groves, desert, cattle ranches and oil fields, and the biggest gin distillery one has ever seen! All in blistering heat and tinder dry grass.

Not a great choice of motel here in Wasco, and no sounds of the ocean tonight, only the sounds of traffic, trains and the next door room's tv- not the beautiful people of California here, but it is cheap!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb