California Roadtrip - Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Merlot and Shiraz ...here I come!!


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Si, my husband, and I landed as scheduled and picked up our 4x4 Jeep just in time to hit the rush hour of San Francisco. Dismay quickly turned into joy as the google map directions that we had printed well in advance took us the most direct route to Wine Country - over the Golden Gate Bridge. The slow traffic was a blessing and we got to see our first glimpse of Alcatraz and Angel Island on one side and the open waters of the pacific on the other. That view, along with the iconic ruby-red bridge is breathtaking; and set the butterflies in my stomach somersaulting.

The hour-long drive from the bridge to Wine Country is a real joy. The 101 is the Redwood Highway so we knew from the outset that we were going to see some stunning views. The almost vertical hills of Sausalito and Richardson Bay give the homeowners on this side of the bay the best views of what San Francisco can offer and are definitely where I would want to live if given the opportunity.

Once on Highway 37, the land becomes more gentle and rolling. The hills to the sides of the highway look slightly unreal - almost duvet like in their round plumpness. As we travel further down, more and more vines appear on these hills and my excitement about our planned wine tasting tour notches up another gear.

During the planning of our trip we had decided to stay in Sonoma Valley which is to the west of Napa. A daughter of a friend had recommended it as it is smaller and more picturesque than Napa. That is smaller in size and in wineries; Sonoma Valley has approximately 45 premium wineries. Napa Valley has over 450. Day 2 proved that 45 was more than enough!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb