Day of At-one-ment


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We celebrated Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement, with the Russian River Jewish Community this year. Once again, it was wonderful. I say, "once again", because we celebrated with them 10 years ago right before we moved back to St. Louis from Sonoma County. I say, "wonderful" because the celebration is so completely inviting, accessible and natural. We gathered at sundown on the bank of the Russian River around a campfire, said meaningful prayers about being mindful of our transgressions against others as well as nature, asked forgiveness and ate a delicious pot luck breaking of the fast. Those who have been involved with the group regularly asked about us and hoped that we would continue being part of the community. We also met Mark and Nina who live just down the block from us in Sebastopol and who walk their dog sometimes when we walk Quito. It put me in mind of Jews celebrating in nature after skipping out on Pharaoh. We came away from the celebration feeling at-one with all and the earth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb