Mt. Gilead Bible Camp & Conference Center


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The first of many like this!The first of many like this!The first of many like this!

I can’t describe the beauty of the trees, and the size is just overwhelming

(Mt. Gilead Bible Camp & Conference Center)

Mt Gilead is a year-round conference facility, set in 238 acres of Sequoia Redwoods. It can house over 300 people. We’re about 50 miles north of San Francisco, and 20 miles from the ocean. Because we’re in a canyon, things are spread out in different directions, almost like wings in a school building, with the hub being the dining hall. Direct sunlight is limited here, but so is wind. It very lush, and smells more like the mountains in Montana than it does like redwoods. And it feels like we’re high in the mountains~~I think because it’s cool and damp~~and yet I’ll bet we’re not 200’ elevation! There’s moss on everything~~be confident that you’ll see pictures of that! It’s very still and calm and quiet, and dark. Dark dark! When we were at The Master’s College, we were parked under a bright security light…we pulled out the awnings to shade us from that light! Now when I open the bedroom curtains after the lights are out it’s so dark I can’t tell if they’re open or closed! You forget what dark is like until you’re away from all artificial light.

We’re
Location:Location:Location:

Guess where we are now!
with three other couples, one of whom is brand new~~as in first-project-brand-new! Leroy and Arlene (new guys) are from Pennsylvania, and so are Henry and Ann. The strange thing, if anything is strange any more, is that they lived less than ten miles apart, and hadn’t met until they got here! Arlene drove school bus for 30 years, and drove right down the road past Henry and Ann! Our lead team is Barney and Bea (you remember them from Three Hills last summer, and then September in Washington). It’s good to be working with them again.

The women are painting~~it might seem like that’s all the women do, but Bible camps have so many buildings, they could have someone painting full time year around. We’re painting dorms (inside); this week we primed them, and next week we’ll paint. The men are building an eight sided gazebo down by the dining hall. This time it’s on flat land, rather than the mountain side! I have to smile about that, because when Bob finished the one at Silver Spur, he told me not to ever ask for a gazebo, because they’re more work than they’re worth! Yes, they're beautiful, but too
The beginning of a gazebo…The beginning of a gazebo…The beginning of a gazebo…

the very beginning!
much work. Guess what!!!

I could tell you that the staff here is very friendly, but you would think I say that on every project; I could tell you our crew is friendly, and fun to work with, but you’d think I say that on every project, so I’ll just wait until we have a crabby staff, and unfriendly crew, and let you know better! It is back to a camp, so there are groups in mostly on the weekends, although there’s a group of very energetic school kids that arrived today, and will stay until Friday, doing an outdoor education unit. (Remember, we had that going on at Oak Glen, too?)

Ok, pictures!






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Haunted house?Haunted house?
Haunted house?

Do they have those in vineyards?! There are miles and miles and miles of vineyards around here, as well as wineries. The leaves are just opening on the vines, and I’m not sure how long it takes them to really come to life. I’m sure they’re harvested in the fall.
Shamrocks galore.Shamrocks galore.
Shamrocks galore.

There are shamrocks growing everywhere, and I’m not exaggerating. I find them fascinating, because in the morning on the way to work the flowers are closed, but when we walk to lunch it’s warm enough that the flowers are opened, and then by mid-afternoon they’re open wide, and have the star design that’s on the shamrock. I’ve never seen these grow in the wild.
More shamrocks!More shamrocks!
More shamrocks!

The flowers are light lavender. This is a lunchtime size.
The shamrocks are growing on the stump,The shamrocks are growing on the stump,
The shamrocks are growing on the stump,

as well as at the base, and they look like they've just spilled over the top of the stump!
As opposed to..As opposed to..
As opposed to..

a speed bump?! These must stop people from going too slow!


3rd April 2008

leprechauns
Keep your eyes peeled for the leprechans. With such tall trees and all those shamrocks you know those little guys are hiding. In relation to the slow bumps - in NC they are called Speed Humps!
4th April 2008

Now we see what we are missing
wow, the camp looks great, and yet so different from the other camps. Our God is Wonderful.
5th April 2008

Amen!
We both know how true that is. Are you home? Peter and Marlene got home Wednesday.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb