Are you packed yet?


Advertisement
Published: August 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are, the night before moving out of our house. It is finally here, after all the waiting and planning! We don't technically set off tomorrow in that we don't fly until August 30, but we now are officially vagabonds, bouncing around between relatives' homes and motels for the next two weeks until our flight.

People keep asking if we have packed yet. Truthfully, our time has been consumed with getting the house ready. It really has been a long haul of writing lists, getting our house ready to show each weekend, selling all of our furniture on craigslist, sorting out shots and medical insurance, and just last night finally taking a closer look at clothes and supplies, and doing a trial pack. It is so hard to get it all in our luggage as kids take up a lot of storage space! We are planning to potty train Jake in Africa which means we need lots of clothes for accidents but also lots of diapers for now.

As you will see in the photos, we got a long way packing last night but we still have a lot of paring down of clothes to do. Still,
Our fridge became a sea of notesOur fridge became a sea of notesOur fridge became a sea of notes

(Which had to be squirreled away every time we showed the house!)
I was pretty impressed with my reject pile! We still need to organize a medical kit, mosquito nets, and toiletries, all of which adds a lot of bulk to our bags. We have two weeks and counting to figure out how to organize our whole lives into two big backpacks, a suitcase (to be ditched after Africa when we enter the tropics) and two small packs. Wish us luck!

Along with all of the tedious planning we have also had time for some fun, such as lots of living room camping with the kids and chase games involving various wild animals! We have also read books set in Africa, watched countless episodes of The Lion Guard and frequently played Africa by Toto along with the South African theme song from the World Cup. I'm not sure they understand entirely what's going on but they do know at this stage that we are going to be living in "the biggest zoo in the world" and that a nice family will be looking after our house while we are gone. We haven't exactly told the kids about then heading to Asia yet... One step at a time!

Scroll down for more photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Should I take the baby carrier or not?Should I take the baby carrier or not?
Should I take the baby carrier or not?

Jake refused to get in but Kyla tried it!


18th August 2016

Hello from Indonesia
Have you been to Indonesia?
19th August 2016

Indonesia
Yes! Got married in Bali and have travelled around surrounding islands. Plan to be back on this trip!
19th August 2016

Indonesia
Yes! Got married in Bali and have travelled around surrounding islands. Plan to be back on this trip!
18th August 2016

Feeling the excitement
I could feel the excitement build as I read your blog. Also a touch of sadness as by the time you're back in your own home the kids will be all grown up. We've loved coming to visit you in S.Barbara while they were so little.

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb