Our Ceremony Written by Us


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

PROCESSIONAL
Concerto in E Spring Doug at front, John seats Peggy, Pete walks in his parents Scott & Georgianna
Canon in D Major Dad & I

OPENING WORDS OF THE OFFICIANT
Doug: Friends, we have been invited here today to share with Peter and Elyse, a very important moment in their lives. We are here, not to witness the beginning of what will be, but rather what already is. In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

Peter and Elyse, your bond was first formed when the two of you chose to combine your separate lives into one. You have made a mutual commitment to love each other in an atmosphere of care, consideration and respect. You are partners in life, working together to bring out the best in each other, and for each other, and striving to be the most you can be. This ceremony marks the moment when the relationship you have been creating gains a new, richer meaning.

Your shared experiences have brought you together and forged this bond of love. From this day onward you will come closer together than ever before. You will love one another for better and for worse, in sickness and in health. At the same time your love will give you the strength to stand apart, to seek out your unique destinies, to make your special contribution to the world.

May you always be able to talk things over, to confide in each other, to laugh with each other, to enjoy life together, and to share moments of quiet and peace when the day is done. May your marriage be a place in which you share your joys so that they may be multiplied and your pain so that it may be divided. May you be blessed with a lifetime of happiness and a home of warmth and understanding.

I would now like to invite Elyse’s Grandmother, Betty, to deliver a poem.

POEM-Grandma Carroll
Love is a friendship that has caught fire.
It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving.
It is loyalty through good and bad.
It settles for less than perfection, and makes allowances for human weakness.
Love is content with the present.
It hopes for the future and it doesn't brood over the past.
It's the day-in and day-out chronicle of irritations, problems, compromises, small disappointments, big victories, and working toward common goals.
If you have love in your life, it can make up for a great many things you lack.
If you don't have it, no matter what else there is, it is not enough, so search for it, ask God for it, and share it!

DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE
Doug: The definition of marriage is a social contract between two individuals that unites their lives legally, emotionally and spiritually. I will remember always that marriage, like life, is a journey - not a destination - and that its treasures are found not just at the beginning or end but, all along the way.

Doug: The bride and groom have prepared their own wedding vows and will exchange them at this time.

Peter will say his vows:
Elyse you are my compass and without you I would be lost. You keep me grounded while my head is often in the clouds. You are supportive and caring and encourage us to do what makes us happy. You are my best friend and favorite travel companion. I respect you for your many wonderful qualities and know that you will make an excellent wife and one day outstanding mother. For these reasons I love you and I have chosen you to be my wife.

Elyse will say her vows:
Peter when I met you 4 years, 2 months and 21 days ago I had no idea I had met my future husband. Over time you became my best friend, travel companion and fiancé. You keep me laughing and smiling in the hardest times and reminded me to color outside the lines when I want to stay within the lines. I love you not because you are perfect, but because you are perfect for me. For these reasons I love you and have chosen for you to be my husband.

Doug: I would now like to invite Peter’s father, Scott, to deliver the 2nd reading.

SECOND READING-Scott Winter
On Love by Brother Thomas a Kempis
Love is a mighty power, a great and complete good.
Love alone lightens every burden, and makes rough places smooth.
It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders all bitterness sweet and acceptable.
Nothing is sweeter than love, Nothing stronger,
Nothing higher, Nothing wider, Nothing more pleasant,
Nothing fuller or better in heaven or earth; for love is born of God.
Love flies, runs and leaps for joy. It is free and unrestrained.
Love knows no limits, but ardently transcends all bounds.
Love feels no burden, takes no account of toil,
attempts things beyond its strength.
Love sees nothing as impossible, for it feels able to achieve all things.
It is strange and effective, while those who lack love faint and fail.
Love is not fickle and sentimental, nor is it intent on vanities.
Like a living flame and a burning torch,
it surges upward and surely surmounts every obstacle.

EXCHANGE OF RINGS
Doug: Wedding rings are made precious by our wearing them. Your rings say that even in your uniqueness you have chosen to be bound together. Let these rings also be a sign that love has substance as well as soul, a present as well as a past, and that, despite its occasional sorrows, love is a circle of happiness, wonder, and delight. May these rings remind you always of the vows you have taken here today."

Doug: Peter, place this ring on Elyse’s finger and repeat after me
I give you this ring to wear with love and joy.
As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you.
I choose you to be my wife this day and forevermore.

Doug: Elyse, place this ring on Peter’s finger and repeat after me
I give you this ring to wear with love and joy.
As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you.
I choose you to be my husband this day and forevermore.

Doug: In closing, Marriage is a promise of sharing, a promise of helping and caring, a promise of working and planning together, a promise of making a dream last forever. May your marriage be just the beginning of a lifetime of dreams come true.

Doug’s Personal advise: Life is not perfect, you will make mistakes But each time you meet life’s challenges together, you will grow wiser, stronger, & surer of your love.

Cherish your yesterdays, they are irreplaceable souvenirs of your journey through life. Make memories, that will bring smiles & sighs whenever you look back, and look back often!

Look forward too. Dream together, plan together, make promises to keep. Believe in your tomorrows, because tomorrows are what forever is made of.

To make love last, put each other first. That is the way to make a beautiful life together, the kind of life you both deserve.

Let love be your shelter, the world can be noisy and confusing at times, so make a home that is a haven, a peaceful place where you can listen to your hearts and savor the closeness you share.

No matter how busy your days may be, make time for yourselves. Hold hands. Unwind. Surprise each other. Find little chances every day to show you’re grateful to be together, to be friends, to be married.

Pete, Elyse, it is a great honor and privilege that you have asked me to stand up here with you, and with that…

DECLARATION OF MARRIAGE
By virtue of the authority vested in me as a commissioner of civil marriages that I now pronounce that you are married, husband and wife.

INTRODUCTION OF NEWLYWEDS
Doug: "I present to you the newly married couple, Mr & Mrs. Peter Winter".

(Elyse asked Can we kiss? Doug said Of course) You may now kiss the bride!

RECESSIONAL- Signed, Sealed, Delivered
-Pete and Elyse

Doug: ALL GUESTS PLEASE REMAIN SEATED EXCEPT FOR THE EXTENDED FAMILIES. PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY OUTSIDE FOR A FAMILY PORTRAIT.

Vendors:
Venue - Cabrillo Pavilion Arts Center Santa Barbara, CA
Caterer - CP Catering Camarillo, CA
Photographer - Huntington Images San Diego, CA
Flowers- Susan Buck Lanphere Prophetstown, IL
Cake & Dessert Bar - Jared Nash San Carlos, CA
Rings - Helzberg & Jared
Dress- Calabro Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Suit- Stephanie @ Louhu Commericial City, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China




Advertisement



Tot: 0.45s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb