Cambria to Santa Barbara


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spot the SealSpot the SealSpot the Seal

'.....I need a telephoto lens...'
We left our comfortable motel room in Cambria late morning, after breakfast and a stroll along the boardwalk to see the seals. We headed on down south to Santa Barbara, covering about 120 miles, mainly along Freeway 101, stopping about half way for snacks - beef jerky, Oreao Cookies, pretzels, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Hershey Kisses, and copious amounts of root beer; very healthy!

It definitely feels hotter here in Santa Barbara. After arriving at the hotel, the Best Western Beachside Inn on Cabrillo Blvd, we had a walk along the boulevard and it felt like the middle of summer. We made our way downtown along the main street, State Street, to find a camera shop so I could enquire about cleaning the sensor (Steve takes me round gun shops, I drag him round camera shops!); I was disuaded by the chap in the shop from attempting to clean the sensor, and bought a blower in stead to see if that'll get rid of the dust first. Plus, I went mad and bought a telephoto lens - photos to follow!

The main street is full of bars and restaurants, so we decided to walk back later for dinner. We had the best blackened steak ever, at The Palace Grill, just off State Street on E. Cota Street. Santa Barbara's definitely got a different vibe to San Francisco.

The hotel we're staying in is on the beachfront, but at the end of the boulevard on the corner of a busy junction, and opposite a park which seems to be the hangout for the homeless; there's a major argument going on right now outside which Steve is watching from the balcony. Yes, we've got a balcony! Great for drying our laundry out on (classy travellers that we are) - thanks Jo & Cathy for the marvelous peg-free clothes line you got us, and for the univerals plug - Steve used it this evening to have a bath as the hotel plug was duff. The room's really comfortable though, and newly refurbished.

I've seen the state warning sign on a few premises now, warning about cancer-causing chemicals. Apparently, the warning needs to be displayed even if there is tobacco smoke or alcoholic drinks present on the premises, so it's not as major as I first thought. It's all a bit over the top really.

We're heading for LA tomorrow,
See the Seal?See the Seal?See the Seal?

'Did you get a pic? There he is, in the water, quick get him when he pops his head up.'
our last night in the US before we jet off to New Zealand. We're planning to have a look around Hollywood. Definitely need more time here to see everything properly. Still, it's been a nice taster of California.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Peg-free Clothes LinePeg-free Clothes Line
Peg-free Clothes Line

Thanks Cathy & Jo for this fab piece of travelling gear! See, we ARE washing our kecks!
Universal PlugUniversal Plug
Universal Plug

Thanks Jo & Cath for the plug as well - meant Steve could have his regular soak in the bath.
Best Western Beachside InnBest Western Beachside Inn
Best Western Beachside Inn

Our motel, opposite the harbour
Cabrillo BlvdCabrillo Blvd
Cabrillo Blvd

'Fancy a jog?'


2nd October 2007

Good to see clean keks, thrown any pjs away yet?
2nd October 2007

clubbin
Have you been clubbin with any seals ........... tell them its a British pastime :-).......
3rd October 2007

PJ's
One pair for wearing, one for the wash and one drying... you're right, I didn't need 3 pairs... :-/
3rd October 2007

Dom
Just chucked one on the barbie but couldn't eat it all, Steve.
3rd October 2007

Daves Boat
Is that the ferrets peddlo I can see in the background byty?
3rd October 2007

Richie
Can't be the ferret's as the bloke didn't limp. You should be here byty, mountain biker's paradise, but you have to watch for the rattlers, Steve.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb