Hills and Curves: Next 63 Miles


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



UntitledSo I dropped the ball... the morning of June 2nd we were supposed to start our road trip by flying from Louisville to Monterey... I had planned on leaving at 6:45 am, and our flight was not till 6:45 pm... my bad... so we got to spend the day with friends before leaving for a couple of weeks. The flight through the country was bad, but uneventful. There was one fun part in Pittsburgh, when Rory and I played on two moving sidewalks at a mostly abandoned end of the airport.

We arrived in Monterey around 4am PST which was 7am our time... and we were tired... so the next day we got a little bit of a late start. After eating at Toasties and packing up the car, we left Monterey for the south of California.

Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterey to LA is a bit of a long haul in my little stick shift cabriolet... my knees hurt by the end of that 100 mile stretch.

We stopped briefly in San Simeon to visit the beautiful Hurst Castle, just off the trail. The lavish decoration of that landmark catches my breath every time. The brilliant gleam from the gold tiles in the indoor pool, the marbles dotting the grounds, the artifacts from all over the world... if you head out that way, don't miss it.

On the way down the coast, we found some elephant seals! Rory had never seen them so we stopped and made a video! Yeay seals!

After leaving San Simeon we decided to stay at the State Street Hotel in Santa Barbara for the evening... in really close quarters... we shared one little bed in an even littler room... with a scary shower down the hall... so.. all in all... not the best experience in Santa Barbara.

That was day one of our journey... Total distance traveled : 260 mi

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb