Santa Ana - Zan and Jayna


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Ana
August 6th 2018
Published: August 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Picking up the car at San Francisco airport was not as simple or as quick as we would have liked but after an hour or so we set off. San Francisco to Santa Ana was over 8 hours drive so we broke it up with a short 5 hour hop down the road to San Luis obisco dropping in to Morro Bay along the way - unfortunately so did the fog.

Next day we sauntered down to Santa Ana and met Rebecca and Graham whose cats, Zan and Jayna, we were to look after for 5 days as they went off to a Star Trek convention! Felt at home straight away as I could speak the language given I have watched every Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, UFO, Batman,superman etcetc film or tv series going. Plus he also had a graphic novels collection that was smaller but different to mine - I could stay in and be happy but that’s not how it worked.

Day one day us driving to Newport Beach for a leisurely lunch and wander along the beach - fairly lazy day
Next day off to Laguna beach again fairly leisurely wandering through the various art galleries including the Brian Hamill exhibition of photography focusing on the Stones and other 60’s icons - check out his commentary at https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8609088

We also found the beach and bars plus taking in the sights. First day actually in the water - great fun.

LA - wasn’t sure if we would bother with LA but really pleased we did. Checked out a you tube video at throughmylens.com which gave us ideas for downtown so we drove in andnhit most of the places on his list including....

The Broad museum ( great and free), Walt Disney building, the Bradbury ( in blade runner), grand market, Angels flight stairs cable car and the last book store (terrific book store in an old bank), museum of creative arts (note free on Thursdays after 5.00pm).

And then we were enticed to the Skyspace by the views from the 70th floor (good) and the slide going outside of the building ( short and rubbish).

A call from an old family friend saw us meet with Steve Carty in Hollywood for a few beers before going back to his place- good to hear a wolves accent in a foreign place. Then back in the early hours.

2 hour drive next day to La Jolla San Diego - originally aiming to do a bike ride at 12 but because of traffic missed it and did sea kayaking instead - different but fun. Lovely little town great beach and cliff top walk to bars above the cliffs with fantastic views. Then off to San Diego proper for a wander round little Italy ( to think we came to America to see Europe ).

Final day in Santa Ana saw us laze about a bit then head back to Laguna to the art gallery (sue) and as I had to park somewhere I managed to find a restaurant next door where in order to leave the car I had to have a beer - shame!

On our way back we stopped at Huntington Pier and meandered along the beach till sunset so sue could photograph the pier.

Next day saw us saying goodbye to the cats and graphic novels and heading back north to Santa Barbera for our final California stop - more on that another time.










Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb