San Francisco, the beauty by the bay


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.7792, -122.42

Well we made it! After a ten-hour turbulent flight, which had us rocking and rolling in our seats (in preparation for Graceland, I am led to believe!) we touched down to the glorious California sunshine of San Francisco! As soon as we landed and passed through passport control, we were treated to the wonderful American hospitality. I have already said,"I love America!" about fifteen times, all relating to the experiences of service staff who have been wonderful, (and the charming "ma'am" doesn't hurt either!)

The public transit system, the Dart, was really easy to navigate, especially after asking the friendly patrol guard, (there's that "ma'am again!) and we were soon hurtling on our way through the 'burbs of San Fran. We glimpsed some of the famous steeply inclining streets as the views raced past the windows, and after a simple journey, arrived at Powell street station. We hiked the 300 or so metres to our hotel and were met by incredible service at our Art Deco style hotel just off Union Square. They even wished us happy anniversary on our arrival. It's a fabulous place and I've already fallen in love with the laid back West coast! When we checked into our room, we were greeted by a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates, and a Rubber duck dressed in a bowler hat was smiling at us from the bathroom.

As we changed and readied ourselves to catch our first real glimpses of the city by the bay and the much anticipated meal at Bubba Gump, Stacey emitted a low moan, followed by several expletives. It appears that she had left her designer, prescription sunglasses on the Dart train. A Classic Clifford-Turner move! So, it was off to the friendly (naturally!) neighbourhood optician to get a rush job pair of designer, prescription sunglasses made. Cue a very cross Stacey and a rather large hole in the USA beer budget!

Following this mini detour to our plans, we took a stroll through the financial district, down Market street, heading for the famous San Francisco waterfront. We have been struck by the number of homeless and people asking for change on the streets here, it's fairly sobering experience to see the juxtaposition of the wealth sitting side by side for those desperate for a dime. However, it has been a fairly common denominator amongst the North American cities we have visited on our travels, yet the gap here feels more distinct. San Francisco clearly has its roots in the gold rush and the huge wealth it brought to the area. Evidence of the city's wealthy past can be seen on the wide avenues lined with ornate colonial and Victorian buildings. And the evidence of the current wealth reveals itself in the exorbitant Real estate prices and the resulting high salaries in the area. However, evidence of the recent hard times are creeping in among the city centre's newer buildings: cash converters, check cashing counters and pay day loans companies nestle side by side with the city's mainstays - Tiffany, Macy's, Saks. This is a city whose cracks are beginning to show.

However, down on the waterfront, with the piers stretching out into San Francisco Bay and over towards perhaps the most notable icons of the city - Alcatraz and The Golden Gate Bridge, the tourist dollar is king. We wandered along several of the piers, each one with its own character and style. Some were packed with local artisan businesses with a modern twist on the bohemian vibe, others paid homage to the city's maritime location and sold fresh seafood by the bucket! However, we knew where we were headed. Straight to Pier 39, first to mingle with the local sealion population who have made it their home (stinky!) and then to feed our own faces (and indulge my love of all things Gump!) and made straight for the shrimpin' delights of Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.
Of course, we bought the ubiquitous souvenir, this time settling on a cap which is a replica of one worn by Captain Gump in the film, and the requisite warm hooded San Francisco jumper Then it was into the diner, an assault on the senses of Forest memorabilia, and a menu packed with tasty morsels based around the film. We settled (again, and somewhat predictably) on a sampler including mouth watering coconut shrimp! 2 cocktails and body clocks sincerely off kilter, we decided to leave Greenbow behind and head home to our comfortable, soft, be.......... Zzzzzzzzzzzz


Advertisement



Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb