Big Update


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
October 25th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday - eventually got to Vegas some 23 hours after leaving home. Sadly, Wendy's pack went to Denver instead. Got a taxi to the hotel had a crappy sandwich and passed out.

Thursday - Wendy's pack arrived. We picked up a hire car and headed off on the freeway for the Grand Canyon, stopping off en route to buy a tent and sleeping bags. Navigation perfect thanks to Wendy's advance organisation. Got to Grand Canyon mid afternoon and went for a short walk along the rim trail with a samall percntage of the 5 million other tourits it gets annually. It's really too vast to take in - 5000 feet deep, 8 - 16 miles wide and 277 miles long, which is like from John o Graots to Gretna. Pitched the tent and had another early night cos it was cold and dark - below freezing.

The clear skies gave an unbelievably good view of the stars with no light pollution - you felt you could almost touch them. It kind of made up for having to trek to the toliet at 3am.

Friday - up with the dawn, due to the cold. Got a coffee and went for a longer walk along the rim trail - this time without the tourists.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb