A very full day


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Midnight. In Megan's tiny miniature Toyota driving 3 and a half hours to Columbus to get on a plane for San Francisco. Radio off, all of us too wired to sleep, talked the entire way until the fog banks covered the road and we drove on in tense silence. Pulled into the parking lot, thankful to have arrived this far on time and in one piece. Found the SkyBus Check-in to stand in line and have a much maligned discussion about medical abnormalities. (Did not know it was possible to excrete fecal matter out of ones vagina...) Hurried up and waited for the terminal Bar to open only to discover that the first drink would not be poured until we were already onboard our plane. Most disappointing. Made do with juices and caffeine and for Speck, copious amounts of water. Arrived exhausted, slap-happy, and still wired at Oakland Airport at about 7:45 am. There we were met by Grossman who pointed the way to a smoking venue. Man I needed a cigarette so bad by the time we landed!

Now we were here and what else to do but pile into another tiny car. (Why did we do all of our driving in 2 door Toyotas?) So with Grossman and Gallaway in the front seat and Speck, Megan and Polly in the back along with Speck's suitcase we drove into San Francisco proper for our first encounter with the local cuisine, Mel's Diner.

Satiated by steak and eggs, hamburgers and onion rings, and other greasy early lunch food we clambered back into the Japanese torture device and braved the traffic until we got to Grossman's apartment. After stretching our legs and smoking again we proceeded to relax and wait for Ashlee to finish getting ready. A chance for a mid morning beer and mild rejuvenation. Bidding Grossman a good afternoon (he had school stuff) we climbed aboard the best way to get around, mass transit for all, the bus; and to Chinatown we went.

Walking the length and depth, the up and down, we shopped and smelled our way through San Francisco's most famous district. Most of our shopping dollars spent buying clothes for our wine bottles. Eventually we left Chinatown and walked to the Coit Tower. A truly beautiful view. The locals seem to cling to the sides of the hills, overlooking the bay, Alcatraz, and Golden Gate Bridge. From one vantage point we were able to see Lombard Street wind its way down a hillside. And then on the move again. After asking directions to what we assumed was the fastest way to a bus to Pier 39 we rolled on down a hill that seemed determined to turn upside down and hopped on the bus. Arriving at Pier 39 we turned around and saw Coit Tower right behind us. Oops, we could have walked quicker than driving...

Mildly hungry and partially parched our party descended upon happy hour at the Fog Harbor Fish House. A few appetizers and several tasty and refreshing beverages later we meandered thru the shops and kibizted with the sea lions. Standing at the edge of the pier Alcatraz seems to be so very close, only 2,000 or so yards away across the water. (Reading a chart it said that of the 39 inmates who had attempted to swim the distance only 5 were not captured immeadiatly and those five are assummed to have sucumbed to the 48 degree water, or sharks that found their way into the bay as none was ever seen nor heard from again.) After contacting Grossman it was decided that we would catch up to him at the benefit he was attending for law school students. (it seems that lawyers need money before they graduate so that law school costs don't consume even a tiny portion of their enormous paychecks after they graduate...) So we ate drank and stole a bottle of scotch. If I am going to commit a crime, let it be where a lawyer is there to help.

Traversing down Geary on another bus, much warmed by the alcohol, spending the day with friends, and having been awake the better part of 48 hours we are tired. (At this time the story of Megan and her three bears begins) Arriving back at Grossman's apartment we have a few more drinks and squeeze back into the Georgetown made vehicle of confinement. 35 minutes later we finally get to the hotel. Kareem checks us in, hands us each a warm cookie and directs us to our rooms. The day is over and it is time to sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb