Traveling to Iran in the Trump Era


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

I've been interested in visiting Iran for nearly a decade, ever since I interned at Global Exchange, which runs tours to various exciting locales including Iran. Since then I've spoken to many Iranians and to Americans who have traveled there, who always give it rave reviews for its beautiful architecture, fascinating bazaars and wonderfully friendly people. With thousands of years of history, twenty-one world heritage sights and a complex and fascinating culture, there really isn't any reason not to go.

Issues have arisen for nontraditional travelers, journalists and Iranian-Americans attempting to visit Iran. Those situations, though unfortunate, do not reflect the experiences of the vast majority of Iran’s five million international visitors each year. There are additional screening and tour requirements for American, British and Canadian visitors but they are still welcomed (until Trump’s travel ban barring Iranians from the US was introduced, at which time the Iranian foreign ministry decided to temporarily and reciprocally halt the issuance of visas for American tourists). And once inside the country, travelers uniformly report a warm welcome by Iranian citizens.

Don't live in fear. Don't allow politicians to dictate where you go and with whom you interact. Wherever you want to explore, go now. Voyager c'est vivre!



http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/travel/iran-beautiful-places/

Advertisement



Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.102s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.9kb