Streak the Bay to Breakers


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Back in my running and jogging days, I ran in several editions of the Bay to Breakers Footrace in San Francisco. Back then, the race often experienced record numbers of entrants, and lived up to its name as the world's largest footrace. It begins at the foot of San Francisco Bay, then winds through the streets of the City, through Golden Gate Park, and finally onto the Great Highway and the Pacific Ocean (ie the breakers).

The first race, known as the Cross City Race, began in 1912, as a precursor to the world class events planned for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. The race was won by Robert Jackson Vlught with a time of 44:10, and with only 200 racers. It was in 1986, the Race set a Guinness Book record with 110,000 racers, me included.

The race has always been a celebration of life, and a show of the City's spirit and soul. The racers include families, costumed runners, centipedes, weekend runners, strollers, walkers, and naked runners. The color and tradition is uniquely San Francisco. But the runners from Kenya tend to dominate the medals in both women's and men's races.

The race is now always run on the third Sunday in May, right after the Kentucky Derby (first Sunday in May), and Mother's Day (second Sunday in May). However, to my great disappointment, nude runners have been banned, though I am sure some unsanctioned runners will expose themselves completely.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb