San Fransisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
November 1st 2015
Published: February 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our long flight took us over the Rocky Mountains, and with the advantage of a window seat and a clear day, we enjoyed miles and miles of this splendour. It was a magnificent sight. Our hotel, as planned, was well-appointed, allowing us to easily walk along the famous Fisherman's Wharf daily. It was delightful to walk off the flight during the afternoon and enjoy the entertainment and food that evening along the Wharf. Monday was as predicted, showery so we decided to investigate Union Square and a little retail therapy via the cable cars and street cars; great fun! Tuesday we took our tour over to Alcatraz via the ferry. This visit was sobering, chilling and incredible.

The following day, we tour a day's guided tour of the city taking in Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Union Square, Tenderloin District, City Hall, Mission District, Castro, Twin Peaks, Haight and Ashbry, Golden Gate Park, Pacific Heights, the Presidio, Fort Point, Sausalito, Mill Valley, Muir Woods and Lombard Street (the crookedest street in the world.) Muir Woods National Monument is a remnant of ancient coast redwood forests that blanketed many of the Northern California coastal valleys before the 1800s. Local businessman William Kent and his wife Elizabeth bought land here in 1905 to protect one of the last uncut stands of redwoods. To ensure its permanent protection, they donated the land to the federal government. In 1908 President Roosevelt proclaimed the area a national monument. The sky was the clearest blue but the wind was cutting. Nonetheless, the day was comprehensive and very enjoyable allowing us time to disembark and investigate, take in the tourist attractions, enjoy lunch and walk aimlessly in the magnificent Muir Woods. Our guide was superb; entertaining and thoroughly knowledgeable. We were exhausted but happy tourists at the end of this huge day.

The best ending imaginable to our visit in this vibrant city, was dinner with Trent. He took us to a superb restaurant where we made the most of our last few hours together in the USA. Again though, very sad and teary farewells followed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement














Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb