Changing Your Name In US Passport – It Is Simple and Hassle Free!


Advertisement
Published: October 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post



There have been many instances where wrong name in the passport has caused immense problems for passengers. Some have also been denied boarding the flight. Therefore it is very important to be careful about these small things related to the passport. There are many reasons for which you might need to change the name in your US passport at the earliest. Some of the common reasons are any kind of court order, divorce, marriage or incorrect entry of the name in the passport by the US Department of State.

The name change in the US passport can be done only via mail services and by no other source. However, there are no charges required for the name change except if you are seeking expedite services. If you are looking for a name change in your passport, do not make delays and get the process done at the soonest so that your international travel is not hampered for the same.

Process of name change in US passport

• Form DS-5504 is needed to correct or change names in the US passport. The form can be downloaded from the official website of Department of State. If you do not have this facility, reach an US passport acceptance facility center nearest to your place and get a blank form from there for name change in the passport.

• While you are looking for name change in the passport, it is important that you provide correct supporting documents against the same. In case you are looking for rectifying an error on the passport, produce the certified birth certificate. Just make sure that the certificate has the correct name mentioned in it. However, if the name change is taking place post marriage, divorce or some kind of court order, have proper evidences for the same. Each of these events will have some kind of legal documentation and that needs to be produced for documenting the change in the passport. A notarized or signed certificate of the document also stands valid.

• Keep new passport size photographs ready with you. With a dimension of 2 inches by 2 inches, the photo should be colored. When a passport is 90 days old and you are making a name change in the same, new photographs might be required. For passports that are 1 month old, no photo changes are required.

• All the supporting documents, the current US passport and the form for name change duly filled up should be packed in an envelope. Make sure that the envelope is a tough one so that while transportation it does not tear apart. It is recommended to send the envelope by mail with traceable delivery method so that you can track the order if necessary.

Sometimes it happens that there are no documents that can be furnished for name change. In such situations, the form and the documents should be submitted in person at any passport agency or an acceptance facility center. Three instances of public records mentioning the place and date of birth of the candidate have to be produced with three colored photographs for name change. The time taken to receive the passports with changed names varies from one agency to another.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb