last 3 days in s.f. - part deux


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

tues, 6/27: Rode into s.f. on the BART (bay area rapid transit) again. we started off at the library, where there is a gay and lesbian reading room with a magnificant ceiling mural with names from influencial gay and lesbian writers, actors, poets, politicians, etc. from ancient Greek times to the present.

next, we hit the s.f. museum of modern art. it is world-reknowned for it's exhibits and it did not disappoint. there were spectacular exhibits in a wide variety of mediums. i especially enjoyed the photography, video, diego rivera, and frida kahlo exhibits.

we rode the cable car up powell street to Chinatown and had a delicious lunch. the guide book recommended letting the waiters order for you and we didn't even get a choice! the guy taking our order asked if it was our first time there, we said yes, and he said, "i'll take care of your order." we were in heaven when the food came! shrimp, noodles, garlic, fried stuff. i don't know what it all was, but it was scrumptous!

we made our way back downtown to the Xanadu gallery. no, it was not an homage to rollerskating and Olivia Newton-John, but rather a Frank Lloyd Wright designed art gallery with some pieces coming in at over $300,000. i left my backpack at the front desk, needless to say.

Next we went BACK to Chinatown and Michelle and I had foot massages. It was rough, but well-deserved. i think she may have bruised the soles of my feet, but they felt better!

we followed up the foot massage with tea at a tea bar. they give you free samples and tell you what each tea is intended for. it was yummy, but the highlight was the 'bartender', John, who was flirting full-time with Olivia.

Dinner was appitizers at the Stinking Rose restaurant, where every dish is prepared with garlic. we had garlic/potato soup and roasted garlic foccacia bread. delicious, but not for the faint of stomach!







Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th July 2006

Funny Bridge
I was able to ride my bike over that bridge.
9th July 2006

awesome
really cool stuff you guys are doing. see you soon at the ranch I hope! Blessings, Bob
14th July 2006

Hello
Hey guys, I just did a quick catch up on your vacation, wow!! Sounds and looks like you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait to see more. Take care and drive safe. Happy belated birthday Mel. Sidenote: Your entries are hysterical, you should consider being a travel writer for some publication. Love and miss you all......Lora

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb