Headed for the 'Frisco Bay


Advertisement
Published: January 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This was actually my second visit to the bustling Californian city of San Francisco, but from my prior visit as a naive 14 year old boy all I remembered about San Francisco was the scary trip to Alcatraz Island, the crazy maximum security prison that stopped being used in 1963 and is now a museum.

However once we were hanging off cable cars going up and down the incredibly steep streets (including the winding Lombard Street) of San Francisco the previous memories came back to me. We stayed a block from Union Square, which is an incredibly busy and bustling places full of buskers and scammers looking to get a few bucks out of some naive tourists.

The Fisherman's Bay area is nice for a wander and we also went to the Pink Ladies, which are a row of pink houses that look like dolls houses in one of the ritzier suburbs of San Francisco.

The highlight of the trip though was hiring bikes in the downtown area and rode them all the way around the bay, over the Golden Gate Bridge to the neighbourhood of Sausalito, which is the very wealthy and pretty neighbourhood that looks back over the bridge to the city. Riding over the Golden Gate Bridge is the best way to appreciate what is considered possibly the most beautiful, certainly the most photographed, bridge in the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb