Arrival - US - San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 11th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Leaving NZ..Leaving NZ..Leaving NZ..

Waiting at the gate to board.
Have now arrived and set up in San Francisco...

Flight over was uneventful save for hard turbulence for a couple of hours and sharing my seat with the 140+ kg Englishman in the seat in front who went into full recline for the whole flight. Problem was his quantity was such that it forced the recline back a great deal further than the chair was designed to recline. Minor issue really and good thing did not demonstrate my grasp of irony as he and his equally robust wife are in the room opposite here at the hotel. Kids did brilliantly as they had virtually no sleep all night and stayed happy(ish) and pleasant throughout.

Customs and Immigration a breeze. US$45 for the taxi from the airport to the hotel at Fishermans Wharf - the Radisson Fishermans Wharf. Taxi driver from Myanmar, he still calls it Burma, and got insight into the pitfalls of taxi licencing in San Francisco.

Set up in the hotel by around 11.30 am and then went straight out. This hotel is a little dated and still fondly recalls the 70's but the room is spacious warm and comfortable. The big plus is its location
Candy Barrel - Fishermans WharfCandy Barrel - Fishermans WharfCandy Barrel - Fishermans Wharf

Reub's spotted this place a mile off...
- literally 2 minutes walk out the back gate and onto the Fishermans Wharf. Pier 39 right behind the hotel.

Its a Saturday so there are big crowds around for the weekend but still very interesting and vibrant. Food is awesome...sourdough loaf's with the lid lifted off and poured chocka with chilli or more often a sea food chowder, shrimp or crab. After a rough night flight with no sleep none of us up for that.
There is a famous cafe called Boudin's...famous for its sourdough and then what it does with them...

Then had a casual wander down to Aquatic Park and the Ghiradelli Square and shopping precinct. Before wandering back. Caitlin has now lost the battle and has fallen asleep on the end of the bed fully dressed and she ain't stirring.

Weather is overcast and foggy as but quite warm and the sun is there but just not getting through the fog. Saw Alcatraz briefly before it recovered its shroud.

Already heard several good bluesey buskers and being a Saturday the street art and markets are interesting...or maybe we are just tired!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Little girls love cupcakes!Little girls love cupcakes!
Little girls love cupcakes!

Kara's Cupcakes - Ghirardelli Square. Nothing special but caught Caitlin's eye.
Boudin's Cafe.Boudin's Cafe.
Boudin's Cafe.

Fantastic food. Sourdough baked on site & loaded with gumbo, chowder ....
Aquatic Park Aquatic Park
Aquatic Park

In the background...faintly visible is Alcatraz...it was gone again a few minutes later.
San Francisco Aquatic ParkSan Francisco Aquatic Park
San Francisco Aquatic Park

Kids been on the go for about 40+ hours by this stage but doing really well..
Ghilardelli Square..Ghilardelli Square..
Ghilardelli Square..

Nothin overly special here but Reub's liked this old press thing...
Reub's drops his false teeth..Reub's drops his false teeth..
Reub's drops his false teeth..

Just a goofy face...


13th December 2010

Glad you arrrived there in one piece and that immigration was uneventful! Glad to see that you are hitting the cafes. Really hot here the last couple of days so funny to see you all in jeans etc. Thought of you this morning as we missed our walk - the sleep in was great :-) Cheers, Wilma

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb