#11 San Francisco Bay Area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 1st 2010
Published: September 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Karen, Michael and KatieKaren, Michael and KatieKaren, Michael and Katie

A lively visit with our niece and her family, including dolphin rides and other games in the pool, Phil learning to bowl with a Wii, and Katie helping Martha with some sewing. A good catch-up with Karen and Mike--thanks everyone!
August 22-27: The Bay Area was definitely a destination for us, largely because we have relatives and friends there.

Our first stop was to visit our niece Karen, her husband Mike and their two lovely kids Katie and David. It was the first time we'd seen them in their west coast home, and I had a great time playing in the pool with the kids. Because I've lived so far away from our American family a lot of the time, I haven't had much time actively “aunting”, which is a great treat for me. The family was excited because they were just about to get a new puppy, and David was about to lose his first tooth. We thought we'd be there for both milestones (kilometrestones?), but in the end neither happened before it was time for us to leave.

We spent a day at Half Moon Bay, and looking through the fabulous orchid nursary there, before it was time to meet for dinner with our Australian friend Owen Saxton and his wife Barbara, who have lived in Mountain View for years and years. In all the fun and joking, I forgot to take their picture (sorry folks) but
Water TempleWater TempleWater Temple

On our way to Half Moon Bay, we visited the water temple, which celebrates 70 years (I think) of water to San Francisco from Hetch Hetchy, up in the Yosemite area.
we left happily filled with Owen's lasagne, and with the CD of Barbara's women's singing group (check out __if you like the songs of traditional tunes from many cultures) and we were intrigued by the new land-based (in Chile) incredible telescope Owen is working on with SLAK, due to go on line in a few years.

Next we went to spend a couple days in San Francisco itself, at the Mithila Hotel—thanks, Michelle, that was a great tip!--right near the Theater District and Union Square, and affordable. We walked and walked and walked around the city. Up and down and up and down. What hills!! Then we learned how to take the buses!

We had a fantastic visit to the California Academy of Science Museum (thanks for that pointer, Karen) and another great visit to the de Young Art Museum where we saw “The Birth of Impressionism”. Our time in SF was stimulating and exhausting. Some very nice lunches out, and some very tired travellers in the evenings!

Our next visit was with Tim Standing, from back in our Somerville household at Arlington Street in the early-to-mid 1980s. He and his lovely family live just north of
Sun basking Sun basking Sun basking

Though much of SF's seal population has disappeared this summer--probably gone to feed near Monterey--there are still a few at Fisherman's Wharf to intrigue the tourists.
the city in Mill Valley, so he suggested we take the ferry across the Bay and he picked us up from the boat. It was a lively boat ride which we loved and during it we watched the fog roll in to “Fog City” so that when he graciously drove us back across the Golden Gate Bridge to our hotel, its architecture was just vaguely visible to us. It was wonderful to meet Rene, Justine and Lauren and to see Tim so happy and settled.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Bathers, a Tall Ship and AlcatrazBathers, a Tall Ship and Alcatraz
Bathers, a Tall Ship and Alcatraz

San Francisco is a medley--everywhere you look there's so much to take in, as many highs and lows as the terrain itself.
Looking backward to Fisherman's WharfLooking backward to Fisherman's Wharf
Looking backward to Fisherman's Wharf

So we decided that rather than wait in the sun for a long, long time, to take the trolley, we'd just walk back to the hotel. We like to walk.
Are you kidding me?Are you kidding me?
Are you kidding me?

Phil, did you say it was 20 BLOCKS back to the hotel??
Even the shade isn't solaceEven the shade isn't solace
Even the shade isn't solace

Yes, it was the hottest August day on record for SF EVER. 99 degrees F (think over 40C) and it was the steepest hill on record--at least in my mind.
Not a step further!Not a step further!
Not a step further!

Alright, I'll try this bird cage of an ancient elevator, rather than climb 4 flights to our room.
Science MuseumScience Museum
Science Museum

Morning tea in an airy space with a high glass ceiling not designed to keep anyone from rising to their personal best.
The RainforestThe Rainforest
The Rainforest

You climb up a spiral ramp through the four levels of rainforest, seeing the different amazing plants and animals at each level. Way below, there's a pool of fish, and beneath that, visitors view them!!!
From the top of the canopyFrom the top of the canopy
From the top of the canopy

Surrounded by live birds and butterflies. Before you exit, guards check that no butterflies are hitching a ride on you.
Plummeting to beneath the seaPlummeting to beneath the sea
Plummeting to beneath the sea

Then the elevator takes you way down to the aquarium and you get to look back up toward the sky, and then view many more fish in different environments.
Tim, Justine, Lauren and ReneTim, Justine, Lauren and Rene
Tim, Justine, Lauren and Rene

A relaxed and friendly meal, meeting the family. Thanks again!


1st September 2010

Great pics!
Thanks again for the blog - glad you liked the Mithila! M xx
1st September 2010

99 in SF???
You truly are a record setter!
1st September 2010

Hi...
...loved your photos... can imagine SFco with 99degrees plus and walking those lovely steep streets... great to see you are enjoying it... cheers Rosanna
1st September 2010

Are yu done now?
Is this your final stop or are you on permanent tripping? Nice to be with family, eh? Van Mollison suits you. May the fun never end! -- Walzolo
2nd September 2010
Looking backward to Fisherman's Wharf

SFO cable trams
We waited for the cable car - too many hills. But riding the cable car is an audience participation sport, isn't it? What with people jumping on and off on either side of the cars and trying to dodge paying a fare! Loved it! Colin
2nd September 2010

Thanks for mentioning us!
Hey, it was great to see both of you, after such a long hiatus. You both look and sound wonderful. Sorry it was so hot while you were here. After a few days of more Arctic weather, the hot spell has returned with a vengeance. I'm doing Back to School Night at my school in Burlingame, where the temps are supposed to top in the nineties tomorrow (maybe the fog will come in in the late PM; I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed. No A/C. Anyway, I noticed that the name of my Balkan singing group and the web address were missing on your blog--if anyone is curious or wants to listen to sound clips, it's: http://www.borntodrone.org. Or just google "Born to Drone" and you'll find us, among other crazy references to bagpipes and vacuum cleaners... Owen works at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. You don't want to get on the Dept. of Energy's bad side! Hope the rest of your trip is jolly and enjoyable! Come by any time you're in the neighborhood, Barbara (and Owen, if he knew I was writing this...)
5th September 2010

alls well
Loved the pics, you will be very fit when you get back to Oz, will need to get a dog now to keep up the walking, havn't contacted Lucien, thought he might think a bit boring having dinner here, tell him to pop in if he needs anything. Fathers Day here today, so lots of food and cake, Andrew's Chaser show completed , has been asked to do stint on "Top Gear ", is not interested in cars so guess he will come last. Weather lovely here, felt sorry for you in 40 degrees, glad there are still seals, I remember them at the wharf, a kid here was attacked this week by one at the zoo (bet it was the kids fault. ) luv Robyn.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb