San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 14th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, i know you'll probably all be fainting right now with the appearance of a blog so shortly after the last one but we like to surprise you all!
We're coming to the end of our stay in SF and have been very busy seeing the sights since our stay in so short. We got here at about midday on friday and wasted no time in heading out into the city. The first trip was to an internet cafe so that Stephanie could put her new CD onto her iPOD and begin learning mandarin in preparation for our time in China. We then headed to the centre to catch a ride on the cable cars that the city is so famous for and hung off the side all the way to Fisherman's wharf. This is one of the main tourist areas of the city, crammed with tourist trap shops selling all sorts of wonderful souvenirs! It is also the site of Alcatraz, but we decided that the boat cruise to the island wouldn't be worth the admission fee so just looked at it from the mainland. We then walked up the street to see Lombard street, the 'crookedest street' in SF winding its way down one of the steep hills (although its neither the crookedest or the steepest hill, it's just the one in all the guide books!) . Then we walked back into the city to the shopping centre for a bite to eat and a look around before heading back to the hostel for sleep as we were both tired from the journey.
Today we have been on a minibus tour of the city with a real local showing us the different neighbourhood and telling us plenty about the local history and events that have shaped the city. The different areas blend nicely together creating a very multicultural feel from mission (latin) to the castro (gay) to Haight Ashbury (hippie, well wannabe hippy now, the real ones left long ago) and on to the twin peaks that overloook the entire city. We then headed across the golden gate bridge and out towards muir woods that have some huge redwood trees, some of which are over 1000 years old and 250ft tall. It made me feel quite small in comparison as we walked through. We came back onto the mainland of SF and headed through various other districts including pacific heights (millionaire-ville), chinatown and little italy. All in all the 5hr tour was great! We headed back to fisherman's wharf for some food and then headed back to the hostel to prepare for another day of train travel in the morning.
We've both really enjoyed coming to SF, although we are feeling bit 'cityed-out' and are beginning to loook forward to the remoteness that new zealand will bring. Hopefully we'll manage to update you with what occurs in los angeles before we fly again (feels like ages since we were at an airport). Speak to you all soon, Paul and Stephanie x

p.s. if you want more frequent updates then leave us more frequent comments back either on the blog website or direct to our emails. This is a 2way communication! 😉 miss you all


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The city from Twin PeaksThe city from Twin Peaks
The city from Twin Peaks

The fog was still covering the city
Wall ArtWall Art
Wall Art

This was in Mission
Big TreesBig Trees
Big Trees

Trees at Muir Woods
Sea LionsSea Lions
Sea Lions

Fisherman's Wharf, home to loads of fishy smelling characters!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb