Slummin' it


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Slummin’ it .. or trying to!



We all came to gradually this morning - Annabel first, then Mark and eventually the kids by around 8:30, so we all felt quite rested. Just as well...

Today was nominated washing day, so we hoisted our laundry out of the suitcases. Sorted it into equal sized mountains and staggered out to find the Laundromat a block away. It was all a very civilised affair, which the kids loved because it meant they had some dedicated Nintendo time whilst the adults did the requisite chores. The industrial grade washing machines and tumblers had done the job within an hour, and the only major casualty was Mark’s previously favourite T-shirt, now reduced to a Liliiputian size. All’s fair in love and laundry, I guess.

We dumped the laundry back at the room before popping off to the internet cafe (second home) for a bit of online financial management, blogging and lunch. The kids had some wholemeal BLTs (we’re desperately looking for some healthier fare to eat), whilst Mark and Annabel had a heaped plate of Korean barbecued meat and rice each. Yummy but toooo much.

By the time all this was over, it seemed too late in the afternoon to visit the Exploratorium which was a great shame. Sooo we hopped on the number 30 trolleybus with the earnest intent of going to the Aquarium at Fisherman’s Wharf. Since the bus was going the wrong way we ended up at Yerba Buena Gardens instead! This turned out to be fortunate though, since the Gardens are a well maintained play area and the kids spent a happy couple of hours on the carousel and on the huge slides, climbing frame and sand pit. By the time they were tired enough and we were rested enough it was time to wander back to Sutter street (via a few shops) for some tea.

Tiredness and lack of imagination took us back to Lori’s Diner, but it seems that this is never a bad idea since we had another fulfilling meal of salads, lasagne, fettucine and chicken between us. We drifted back up to the hotel, taking turns to tow Jack, where we used the Disney Channel as a familial relaxant and curled up for the night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb