Welcome to our blog


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Barbados

Point 0: Bridgetown is the main "city", but Barbados doesn't really have a "city" per se. It has a downtown where the commercial and governmental activities occur (Bridgetown). But the country is divided into districts or townships. These are more like what we often think of "cities". Point 0: Bridgetown is the main "city" for Barbados. Point 1: This is exactly where Deanne and Rob lived for one year (2001-2002). Point 2: This is Carlton Cricket Field. Point 3: This is Carlton Market. A good place to get regular food. White tourists will be noticed. Point 4: Rob & Erin stayed in this area (Meridian Inn) for their June 8th, 2005 honeymoon.

Hi folks:
A funny thing happened when I was reading the Lonely Planet one time. In a European country book, the authors provided advice on how to "fit in" and "look like a local". They recommended things like not wearing a fanny pack, for example. I thought this was interesting because this particular European country had a paucity of dark-skinned people like me. So, fitting in wasn't an option. I thought to myself that as much as I love the Lonely Planet (located in Oakland, CA), they seemed to have forgotten that Asian, Black, and other people of color travel the world; and it is impossible to "fit in" or "look like a local." So, this blog is dedicated to people who, by their very phenotype, will stand out in a country or city. We provide some of our experiences and advice on how to navigate given that you may or may not stand out.

Deanne and Ariette are friends of mine (Rob). Deanne and I met Ariette for the first time in Thailand. Since then, we have been in some regular contact. A lot has happened in our lives. The one thing that bound us together was that Ariette and Deanne are multilingual and have traveled the world. The other thing that bound us was that I am African American, Deanne is Jamaican, and Ariette is a New York Columbian. Each country that we visited presented interesting experiences and challenges because of how we looked; and sometimes we were challenged because of how well we spoke the lingua franca; other times we had interesting experiences simply because we were from the United States.

We hope that you enjoy reading about our travels as much I we enjoy writing about them. We will be writing from three parts of the U.S. and from wherever in the world we are at that point in time. We will begin will some recollections and work our way to the present day.

Hasta luego!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb