Debacle


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

OK, day two..... started off nice.. had a good breakfast at the hotel, got keys for the house early and even had time to go search for the elusive pineapple bun again... Knew I was off to a bad start when we didn't find the buns...

After we checked out, I was walking to the parking lot, breathing with my mouth open and kinda of in awe of the outside of the hotel... when some freakoid, says to me... what are you laughing at... I'm like what? huh??? Just keep walking... just keep walking....

We walk up to the house... look on the outside and a window with a torn up curtain... bad sign... is it sketchy?? don't know... can't check in until 3... but we wanted to drop our car off.....

The house is located in what is considered Upper Haight. Nice neighborhood, but kinda eclectic. You see a lot of wannabe hippies... at least there were a ton in the McDonalds outside of Golden Gate Park. We walked along the park... there are no signs anywhere, so we can only guess where we are... we wander a little bit and thankfully we run across the conservatory... pretty, but cost money, so didn't go in... Afterwards, we went to the Japanese Tea Garden... Had to pay, but recommend it... the bathroom itself was worth the $4 entry fee. and knowing me.. that means a lot... Aside from the bathroom, very nice garden. Good place to walk around, but nothing special about Golden Gate park... not like Central at all.

We walk back up to the house.. it's now 3 PM and we walk in and beds unmade.... stove is dirty... bathroom not clean... not what I was expecting. We were hoping to be at the house to rest for a little bit before heading back out to Alcatraz. The maids did not make it... They finally arrived around 3:30. I was a little discouraged with the situation.... BUT Susan kept telling me.. at least they're here and we can see what they're doing.... Always thinking positive... I was very dismayed and can't believe I've gotten us into this situation. The owner was a little flighty during the whole reservation period... thought house was available for 4 nights... offered it up... only to realize the next morning that it was only available for the originally promised 3 nights.... I had this sinking feeling in my stomach prior to leaving that something would go wrong.... I guess this was it....

But trying to think positive, we head out to ride a street car down to Fisherman's wharf to catch the night ferry over to Alcatraz island... aka the Rock. Hopefully by the time we get back, the house will be clean. Oh before we caught the ferry, we had dinner at Boudin's.... Had YUMMY clam chowder in some good sour dough bowl. Thanks for the suggestion Cassey.. Hopefully between these next two nights, we'll hit Scomas.

After dinner, we walked to Pier 33 and got on the ferry boat. Alcatraz was very eerie to me. It stunk a little... very musty smelling... very dark... I stepped into an isolation cell... creepy... It was dark.... although bigger in size than the normal cells... I wouldn't want to be in there... Then we went up to the hospital... It smelled... needed to get out of there... Thankfully it was time to catch the ferry back... Still worth visiting though....

We walked up to Castro and then 15th... and hike it was. I was huffin puffin all the way up.. Got back to the house and thankfully it was clean... Tomorrow is a new day....

May Muir woods make up for the debacle that was today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb