Walkies


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

AlkatrazAlkatrazAlkatraz

The swim to shore really doesn't look that far.
Another early start, after a whopping breakfast at the IHoP (International House of Pancakes in case you were wondering), we decide to hit the streets of San Francisco (no sign of Michael Douglas for those of you old enough to remember!). We head for Fishermans Wharf and are greeted by a fantastic veiw of Alkatraz that neither of us was expecting! It's a beautiful day, sunny with a blustery breeze and we walk all of Fishermans Wharf before heading for Chinatown. It's like being back in Bangkok, San Fransisco's Chinatown isn't huge but it's packed with asian shops and restuarants. We wander up and down streets and eventually settle on the Y Ben Dim Sum house for a spot of lunch. The Y Ben isn't flashy and there's no menu for Dim Sum. We're directed to a table and ladies with trolleys pass among the tables and just ask if you want their wares. There is a fabulous selection everything from Hargau to potstickers, with chicken feet for the more adventurous. We're more cautious than in Bangkok and have four selections from the trolley. The Dim Sum is probably the best we've ever eaten, the owners of Ping Pong could learn a thing or two from these ladies and their trolleys! We spend under ten bucks and leave stuffed!
Kev want's to check out the bendy bit of Lombard Street, so plots our route back home. It's all uphill. Wycombe has nothing on San Fransisco. I think I can't possibly get up there, but it's surprising when you get to the top. The views over the city are spectacular and we soon reach the bendy bit of Lombard Street, the gaggle of Japanese tourists with flashing cameras is a dead giveaway. We stop for photos and then tackle the 246 steps up the World's most crooked street! Luckily the way home is all downhill. I'm going to put my feet up now as my dogs are really barking. Dinner tonight will definitely be local.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lombard StreetLombard Street
Lombard Street

Obviously the Romans didn't make it across the Atlantic.
Lombard Street StepsLombard Street Steps
Lombard Street Steps

You only want to walk up them once


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb