San Francisco - The start of our adventure...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 28th 2004
Published: December 28th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Telegraph HillTelegraph HillTelegraph Hill

The streets are steep
We left home at 07:00 on Tuesday (December 28th) and arrived in San Francisco (via Heathrow) at 18:45 local time, some 20 hours later, the Edinburgh - London flight was a nightmare, Fiona was sick at the landing and turned to me and said "I really don't think I like flying", magic I thought, only another 14 flights for a total of 65 hours to go...........

The London - San Francisco flight was much better, good meals, 6 decent films and as much free bevie as we could take, the 11 hours didn't excatly fly in but it wasn't as bad as we though it would be, happy to report that Fiona held on to the contents of her stomach this time, "must have been nervous last time" she says.

The customs department in America can't take a joke, FACT, they had one tiny Danny Divito looking dude running about ordering people into different lines, not helping anyone, unless you're an American citizen of course. I kept hearing him but couldn't see him then he'd appear at my shins going ape about something or other. Finally got to the front of the line to have some power hungry dude
Coit TowerCoit TowerCoit Tower

From the top of Lombard Street, Coit Tower to the left, the Bay Bridge to the right.
take an 'eppy' at Fiona for daring to accompany me to the yellow line, after arguing, finger printing and eye scanning (I kid you not) we were pushed through to some other cop, Mahoney was his name, "just like in Police Academy" I suggested, ammused he was not, so after a brief, but thurough, body cavity search I was moved on to collect our bags.

We decided to skip the hassle of the Metro into town and got a taxi, 15 minutes and $40 later we were in the middle of Broadway outside our hostel, did I mention there was nothing but Strip Joints as far as the eye could see? Anyway checked in, nice enough place, and went out for some food, the area we're in (North Beach) is between China town and Little Italy, we opted for the former then retired to bed.

A busy day and an interesting start to the trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb